Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafe Hollister
    commented on 's reply
    I'm 69 years old. Just last week a college girl who I didn't know asked me for a ride in my 56 Hawk... just like Videoarranger said.

• studeclunker
    replied
    One thing you and dear old Dad would be best to keep in mind is that this is NOT the same as either a Chevy or a Ford. Studebakers were a whole different animal. You were well advised to get the manuals. I would get the whole set; Shop Manual, Chassis Catalogue, etc... The part number at Studebaker International is 801194. This will be a complete set of manuals and etc that will be needed for your car. It's around $175 or so and well worth every penny.

Your car is one of my favourite models of Studebaker. My fave colour too! I hope you have a wonderful time with your new (to you) Studebaker and miles of smiles! Join the club, you will find it very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    commented on 's reply
    On the '61 Hawk Engine Pic I posted for an example of the correct EARLY '62 Oil Filter, Oil Filler, Rocker Covers, etc.
    I think it is interesting how WELL the Wrong Battery (24F) works in a Hawk, if installed with the terminals TO the Engine as they should be! The Positive is much closer to the Solenoid that way.

On the OP's '62 Hawk the battery has the correct Post location (may be a Group 24) but is installed backwards.

A Totally different story on a Lark or Lark Type, due to Battery location.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-05-2022, 12:55 PM.

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawk5619 View Post
    That is a 1962. The Battery is in backward. The Positive terminal should be the one closest to the firewall. With the slope of the GT Hawk hood it would be real close to that positive terminal the way it is on now when the hood is closed.
    In Rich's picture, it looks like a group 24F battery, which has the terminals reversed for Fords. Replace it with a group 24, without the "F."
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-05-2022, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hawk5619
    replied
    That is a 1962. The Battery is in backward. The Positive terminal should be the one closest to the firewall. With the slope of the GT Hawk hood it would be real close to that positive terminal the way it is on now when the hood is closed.

Leave a comment:

• daytonadave
    replied
    Contact the Conestoga Chapter in Denver, CO. It started in 1968. Plenty of good folks to help you.

Chapters in Colorado (cornerstonereg.com)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240945.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1942599
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DanielOBrz
    replied
    lots of interesting info on the engine, I should be getting to see the car again in a couple of weeks here so you guys can see what it is. I have plenty of experience on cars my dad is a Chevy guy so we've done lots of stuff together and I bought a Volvo 240 for a winter car. I am extremely excited however to get to work on the Gt as I plan on seeing what I have learned in my many years and working on something completely different from what i have done in the past

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Daniel, glad to have you!

Your "Hybrid" Engine is a mystery, you can easily solve.
    Check the Engine serial Number STAMPED into the Flat, machined Pad on the Left Front, Top Corner of the block, right next to where the Oil Filler Pipe would have been on 1951 to early 1962 Engines.

Ignore any Raised in the Casting numbers, that would be the same for all Engines of the era.

Post that Number here and someone will tell you exactly what it is.
    Another possibility is, a New factory Replacement Block possibly Dealer installed, would not have ANY Serial Number.

With the '63/'64 Type Chrome Rocker Covers with Oil caps, it either has a "Dress up Kit", replacement Chrome Covers, Plated ones OR is a Avanti or a Jet Thrust High Performance Engine!

Also look for a Oil Filter Base bolted to the Lower Right rear of the Block OR a Block-off Plate used to keep a Dealer Installed replacement Engine original with it's Bi-pass type, partial flow Oil Filter on the Top of the Engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Baby Blue5.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1942382 A 1961 Hawk, very close to the look of an early 1962, but it would have a Black Block with Yellow Rocker Covers.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    We were big fans of Holley's back in the day. There were reports of easily warped fuel bowls that leaked. We never experienced that issue. Really liked the double pumpers for the larger engines. Even had a couple of the 3 bbls.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Well, there ya go! There are millions of Holley-Ford carb lovers and they are welcome to them!! The ones I've run across I guess have just been atypical. And, once again I reiterate, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    It is a 62 with a couple unfortunate mods. I'd get the filter where it is 'sposed to be when changing the oil (you must use ZDDP in the oil!). Then look for a carb that does not have the questionable habit of spewing fuel all over the top of the motor. Drain the fuel and flush the lines (I use DryGas to do this) Tune it up and see what happens! My first ventures were as a 19 yo but my dad had been an aircraft engine mechanic so he was helpful. Get a gearhead buddy if you are not experienced--and a Shop Manual.
    ????? I've used Holley carbs on EVERY american car/truck I've owned (except the new ones that came with FI ,I have two) ;of my ten carbureted american cars ALL have Holley carbs, even my Stude, two have three Holley carbs, and I've never had or heard of "the questionable habit of spewing fuel all over the top of the motor" in the fifty years I've been working on and building cars. If any carb is "spewing " fuel anywhere, somebody did something wrong! Don't blame the tool !! Put the blame where it belongs; on the Donkey with his hands on that tool !

Leave a comment:

• Al from Eatonville
    replied
    Congrats on your GT! It is a beautiful car. And welcome to the Forum. I'm quite a bit older than you, and I've been turning wrenches for a long time; and I still need advice from time to time. And so many people here on the Forum have helped me with spot on information and guidance that I would never have gained anywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    It is a 62 with a couple unfortunate mods. I'd get the filter where it is 'sposed to be when changing the oil (you must use ZDDP in the oil!). Then look for a carb that does not have the questionable habit of spewing fuel all over the top of the motor. Drain the fuel and flush the lines (I use DryGas to do this) Tune it up and see what happens! My first ventures were as a 19 yo but my dad had been an aircraft engine mechanic so he was helpful. Get a gearhead buddy if you are not experienced--and a Shop Manual.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Looks to have an early CFB intake as well since the coil is mounted on the firewall instead of the intake-just guessing ,not judging!

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    A ‘62 has chrome headlight surrounds like this car…’63-‘64 Hawks don’t.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X