new to studies would love to know more about my 63 GTHawk I bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to studies would love to know more about my 63 GTHawk I bought

Hey I'm 17 and just bought a 63 GTHawk I plan on getting it running again and making it look nice. Looking for any info that would be helpful.
    Car has a four barrel although looks not be factory, it also has a factory four speed. But other than a few missing bits like the air cleaner seems intact any thoughts?

glad to see a young member!
    Studebaker National Museum keeps the records on most Studebakers. You can order a copy of the production record from them.
    They also sell the Maintenance Manuals I believe and it's best to have one.

I'd start simply by pulling the plugs and putting some diesel fuel in the cylinders, or Marvel and let it sit a few days just to lube the cylinders.
    Leave the plugs out, Change the oil and then try to turn it over by hand. Don't try the starter yet.

Getting it stopping is more important than getting it running, but you can do both at the same time pretty much.
    A word of CAUTION: The rear Drums require a special puller to get them off to get at the rear brakes.
    The puller attaches to the lug bolts, not the side of the drum and presses on the axle after the castle nut is removed.
    Get someone to show you how.
    I'm hoping that by now there's a video on the subject.

Comment

A good thing to do is connect with the closest Studebaker Club. Having knowledgeable members with eyes on your car would be a great help.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Looks to be a '62 GT as I see the front grille and lack of side grilles. If there is no breather/oil fill in front of engine it may be a late full flow block '62!
        Great to have some young folks in the club! Good luck with your project-you chose a good model to start with in your Stude adventure.
        Rob in PA.

Comment

Looks like partial flow oil filter mounted on firewall. Carb is non stock, Holly or Holly clone (Motocraft?) Has generator, so very likely 62 as Rob stated.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Is this our missing friend Jake’s car?

Comment

Thanks all for the info, the car has been sitting for 10 or more years in a warehouse car has and the original or second owner is the one who put all the miles on it. Carb is a holly 600, sorry I am unable to answer any questions about what is on it as I won't see the car again for a while.

Comment

Daniel,
                Welcome to the asylum. You are in good company here with a ton of information at your fingertips.
                Keep the pics coming.
                I too have a GT Hawk, a 1963. They are very elegant automobiles.
                Cheers,
                Bill

Comment

Looks like a pretty sweet 62 with 4 speed and wire wheels. Brakes and wheel bearings and rear axle bearings and all fluids likely will need attention. I suggest a good cleanup including hosing down engine bay and letting it dry out. Get service and parts manuals and read up before doing any work. Take your time to do it right. Be prepared to have the girls all ask for a ride as they tend to really go for guys that drive Hawk GT's.

Comment

• Rafe Hollister
                    Rafe Hollister commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm 69 years old. Just last week a college girl who I didn't know asked me for a ride in my 56 Hawk... just like Videoarranger said.

Wow what a score ! Kind of like me, when I was 16 I bought a 1954 Studebaker 5 window coupe and I had a blast with it. It will always be easy to find your car in the parking lot
                  The down side was EVERYONE knew where my girl friend and me were .
                  Glad to have you on board and please pictures as you proceed ( I can relive my youth ??).

Comment

Welcome to Studebaker world. I got my first Studebaker 54 years ago when I was 16, so be prepared for a lonnnnngggg ride. My first International meet was in Estes Park, Colorado where we packed three kids in a Plymouth Reliant station wagon and pitched a tent.

Take your time but be sure to have good brakes before you start to drive. The oil filter looks like it could be a Frantz oil filter. Several club members use them. You can also tell for sure what V8 your car has by the engine number. When you are looking straight on the engine, there is a small machined flat pad on the right side of the top of the block that has the engine number stamped into it. If it starts with a P then it is a 289 which is correct for your 1962 GT Hawk

Bob Miles
                    Had a 62 GT with a 4 speed as a daily driver

Comment

Again I thanks everyone for the stories and help. Once I get working on it I will make sure to update with pictures and more information.

Comment

One thing to consider - it seems like the general idea when getting an old car is to immediately take it apart.

Don't do that!

Many many old cars have met their demise by someone taking them apart and then finding out that they don't have the time, money, or ability to put them back together again. It happens all the time.

Get to know your car little by little and enjoy it. It does not have to be perfect to have fun with it. A GT Hawk is a really cool car to start with.

I will leave you with one more caution. It's been 48 years since I had my GT Hawk. That means I was 48 years younger and probably a lot dumber. One thing I discovered about my car was that it ran out of brakes and suspension/handling, long before it ran out of engine. It's easy to get into trouble with even a stock two barrel GT Hawk.

Modern cars seem to be more balanced with their acceleration, braking, and steering/handling all being similar. Not so with a GT Hawk. Think 100 horsepower car with 180 horse power engine.

Be careful. Get to know the car's quirks and limits before you push it.

Before everyone starts flailing their arms and warming up their keyboards... I am not saying anything against GT Hawks. I love them and wish I had one.

But even a stock engined GT Hawk can benefit from improved brakes, rear anti sway bar, radial tires and the like. Mine had none of those. It also had old shocks, bias ply tires, and developed the death vibration at freeway speeds if it hit a pothole.
                        Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-27-2022, 07:51 PM.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You have a 62 and not a 63 Hawk as the front is different from the 63. It also has a generator and not an alternator which shows it is a 62. I own a 62 Hawk with a 4 speed that I bought from the original owner in 1975 and the only time it was off the road was when we restored it in 1979. Do not tear the car apart as like others have said, the odds of putting it back together are not good. Buy the shop manual for the car and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are plenty of people here that can help you get the car back into good running condition. Like Radio Roy says, the car is now 60 years old and will not handle or stop like a new car so remember the car's quirks and limitations when you start driving it. Bud

Comment

A ‘62 has chrome headlight surrounds like this car…’63-‘64 Hawks don’t.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                            X