r3 GT Hawks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r3 GT Hawks?

I was just surfing Youtube and ran across some comments that got my attention. There was a fellow who said that there were 9 factory r3 GT Hawks, and that he owned one of them.

This was the first time I have ever heard of any r3 Hawks.

Were any r3 Hawks every built by the factory?

Are there any Hawks out there that have a replacement engine that is an r3?

There were 9 factory R3 Avantis and 1 R4 Lark type. No factory R3 GTs. R3s could have been installed after delivery in just about any Stude.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by VtMike View Post
      I was just surfing Youtube and ran across some comments that got my attention. There was a fellow who said that there were 9 factory r3 GT Hawks, and that he owned one of them.

This was the first time I have ever heard of any r3 Hawks.

Were any r3 Hawks every built by the factory?

Are there any Hawks out there that have a replacement engine that is an r3?
      Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you see on YouTube. And Facebook is even worse.

​​​​
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

There was a 1964 R3 Hawk built in the engineering dept. and later used at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The car was modified with full R3 suspension etc. It came down the line as an R2 Super Hawk and was one of the factory mules as it was a preproduction car. This car was sent to Paxton. The R3 was either installed at Paxton or probably installed in Engineering for use as a model and prototype as engineering drawings were made for engine fitment, suspension changes etc for anticipated production. An R4 Hawk GT was also built at the same time.

Comment

Thanks Nels ! It would be interesting to know the serial numbers-if those cars even had them to see if any survived.
          Rob in PA.

Comment

• StudeRich
            StudeRich commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably Engineering Numbers "EX" Numbers not "Supposed" to be sold. Usually Scrapped or "put to pasture" meaning the Bendix Woods.
        Working...
        X