What size wheels/tires for a 57 GH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size wheels/tires for a 57 GH?

I am going to try and restore my car to factory specs as much as possible. However, for cruises, I would like to shelve the stock rims and hubcaps, and add some after market wheels/tires, so I have questions about the wheels/tires.

What are the widest wheels/tires that will comfortably and safely fit? Should they be reverse or standard offset? What about deep-dish wheels? What size is the bolt pattern?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=25348
    Size 215 75 R 15
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Thanks, but what about the wheels?

Comment

I don't own a Hawk (or any other C/K bodied car) so I'd look to those who do. Using the 'search' function in the upper right hand corner will help you find out who those folks are. As much as it's been covered here in the past- they may be tired of responding by now...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just noticed that my 57 GH has 14" wheels/tires. Was that standard, or are they supposed to be 15"?

Comment

JERYST; I do belive 15 inch. mac

Comment

They might be off of a '58 Golden Hawk. They should be 5 on 4 1/2 in. bolt pattern, 15 X 5 in.

Those may be 5 1/2" X 14 Studebaker or other make wheels, could be Ford or Dodge.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I read somewhere that some of the early 57 GH came with 14" wheels. Is that true?

Comment

1958, I think was the only year for a 14 in wheel to be standard on a Studebaker.
                  Klif

55 Speedster
                  63 Avanti R2
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

I read somewhere that some of the early 57 GH came with 14" wheels. Is that true?
                    NO!
                    The 1957 Salesmen's DATA BOOK (PD 1018) specifies 7.10-15 as standard equipment for a 1957 Golden Hawk with NO option available.
                    The 1957 Hawk large sales brochure (PD 1014) also calls for 7.10 x 15 for a 1957 Golden Hawk.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'd be nervous about changing rims. I'm not a modified man so I don't know much about it, but I am a retired mechanic and know a few things about stock. You might already know this but here's a little warning. Some modified experts aren't experts. They want to sell you there products because they're salesman, not car buffs. When you change to let's say to a larger rim size, you are also changing the gear ratio at the rear end. And the same thing happens when you go down a rim size. The rear end has to compensate for this difference which can cause premature wear on components. I would stick to stock myself, but that's me. Don't listen to anyone in these speed shops, because they don't care about your car, only car people do.

Good luck,

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

A little disclaimer on the last post. I'm not saying that all speed shops and retailers that sell modified equipment don't care about people's cars, some do. But I've been to too many shops that know nothing about what you have, and start giving you a bunch of misinformation it makes me furious. If I don't know something, I ask. I will never steer someone in a direction because I'm a know-it-all. I used to be a mechanic and know a few things about cars, but I don't know everything. Read as much about the process as you can, so that you won't be fooled either. Happy modifying.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

The only reason I am asking, is that this car is probably 95% original. The condition of the rims looks right for the age and condition of the car. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would have put 14" rims on the car if it came with 15" rims.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

The only reason I am asking, is that this car is probably 95% original. The condition of the rims looks right for the age and condition of the car. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would have put 14" rims on the car if it came with 15" rims.
                            There could be several reasons for the switch from 15 inch to 14 inch during the past 52 years. An owner may have had a good set of 14 inch wheels and tires that he wanted to use up. The owner wanted the car to look lower. The owner wanted his 1957 Hawk to look like a 1958 Hawk. etc.

To be sure, order the car's build sheet from the SNM and it will show if there was such a deviation specified. I doubt it, but that will put your mind at rest.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Are you sure your car is a '57, and not a '58 [?] [?] [?]

That could explain it~ and it'd be funny, too!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment