CASC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASC?

The term "CASO" is becoming increasingly popular on this website. Recently, I was looking through some old Studebaker service letters that I bought, and I learned that "cheap a**ism" was corporate policy at Studebaker Corporation, long before most of us were pinching pennies.

Could there be any other reason than cheapness for Studebaker to send out NEW CARS with NO ANTIFREEZE during the summer months? I'm sure that glycol-based anti-freeze/coolant was available by then, wasn't it?

PS Thanks to "Deep 'n Hock" for giving me a tech tip that enabled me to create a jpg of this letter for your amusement.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

In my recollection it was fairly common "back in the day" to run distilled water in the vehicle cooling system and only to add anti-freeze during the months of the year when it actually may have been necessary to prevent a frozen cooling system... [8)][B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

actually, out here on the west coast, it wasn't common for people to use anti-freeze till the late sixties. In fact, many publications suggested drinking the water out of your radiator if one was stuck in the desert.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Neat letter. That reminds me of one time I came out of K-Mart we were going to have our first freeze that night. This guy in a junkie car had drained out the radiator and pouring windshield wiper fluid in the radiator.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Uh, that guy pouring windshield washer fluid in his radiator in the K Mart parking lot was me, actually.[:I] At least if it was 1983 in Norfolk, Nebraska.[)]
          No, I never really got quite that desperate, but I considered it. Does anyone else remember the "great anti-freeze shortage of 1983"? If I remember correctly, an anti-freeze factory in Oklahoma was destroyed by an explosion, and anti-freeze got expensive AND hard-to-find that winter. I think I paid something like $13 or $14 for a gallon back then.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

My Dad told the story about the late 20s model T truck in decent shape they still had on the farm in the 50s that they forgot to drain in the fall one year and wrecked the engine. Went to the "junk man" for next to nothing. It got replaced with a clapped out model A sedan that was converted to a pickup. He also talked about having to drain tractors and then carrying out water to fill them when needed before starting....

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
            X