Radio Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Conversion

I have a 1956 AC2747 Studebaker Radio. It does not work. I would like a working AM/FM radio that will accommodate the faceplate. Are there any "modern" radios available that will work? Or would I be better off trying to get this one working and converted to AM/FM?
    Thanks
    Marshall

As far as I know there are no aftermarket radios that will fit in the original radio location without some modifications. Your original radio can be converted to AM-FM. Radio Roy who is a regular on this forum is the man to contact for radio conversions. If you decide on having the radio rebuilt to original specifications, I can do that for you. Bud

Comment

We do the conversions all the time onthe older ones,. 6 volt + or neg ground or even 12 v + ground is not a problem. Contact me and we'll give you all the informatin on what's available

See: billtheradioguy.com

bill@billtheradioguy.com

Comment

You can also get a Bluetooth capable radio and hide it. Enjoy all the options of new technology. USB drives chock full of MP3 songs are amazing.

Comment

Converting to am/fm is pretty spendy isn't it?

Comment

Depends on what you want. 12 v neg ground starts at $425.

Comment

Originally posted by radiobill View Post
              Depends on what you want. 12 v neg ground starts at $425.
              What speakers do you run after the am/fm conversion? Original 4ohm or modern? Stude international just got new speakers in stock sizes but they are 8 ohm.
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '18 Kia Soul
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post

What speakers do you run after the am/fm conversion? Original 4ohm or modern? Stude international just got new speakers in stock sizes but they are 8 ohm.
                The new speakers that SI has will probably not handle the power. The original radio put out about 4 to 5 watts that was shared with however many speakers were installed. The AM/FM conversion has four power amplifiers that put out about 45 watts EACH.

The new amplifiers are not that fussy about speaker impedance. Anything from 4 ohms to 10 ohms work just fine. I have had good luck with speakers made by Alpine, capable of handling around 75-100 watts.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X