Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right Place Right Time on ebay...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Right Place Right Time on ebay...

    Clicked on one of my standard searches (Avanti Parts) and happen to be the first person (according to the counter) to find 5 '79 Avanti II Chrome wire wheels from Arizona for a $250 buy it now.

    I haven't seen a set for sale for awhile and don't even remember what they sold for but the $250 just felt right. I think I'm excited!

    ErnieR






    On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

  • #2
    any pictures, sounds like a sweet deal


    1964 Daytona Wagonaire


    Comment


    • #3
      quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

      any pictures, sounds like a sweet deal


      1964 Daytona Wagonaire


      Here's the picture from the listing...

      Comment


      • #4
        Stole 'em! [^][^][8D]

        Comment


        • #5
          exactly what Ive been searching for
          wow


          1964 Daytona Wagonaire


          Comment


          • #6
            Good score, Ernie! What do you mean, you think you're excited??

            I wonder if the seller's wishing he'd gone with a higher BIN[:I]

            Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

            "Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

            "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"



            Comment


            • #7
              quote:Originally posted by bams50

              Good score, Ernie! What do you mean, you think you're excited??

              I wonder if the seller's wishing he'd gone with a higher BIN[:I]

              Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

              "Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

              "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"



              I haven't seen any for sale in awhile and didn't remember what they were selling for. I also know that the wires can be troublesome.

              I think "Buy it Now" is not a great strategy on ebay any longer. You either give it away or scare 'em away. Time left on the auction when I opened it up was 6 days 23 hrs and the counter was at 1. Dumb luck.

              I also reasoned that they would look great on the York Raffle Avanti when I win it

              ErnieR

              Comment


              • #8
                Are those the Borranis or the Daytons? I haven't seen either for awhile but they might be the Daytons. If so, they are correct, somewhat, on a Stude as they used the Dayton style at the auto shows.

                Comment


                • #9
                  quote:Originally posted by bige

                  Clicked on one of my standard searches (Avanti Parts) and happen to be the first person (according to the counter) to find 5 '79 Avanti II Chrome wire wheels from Arizona for a $250 buy it now.
                  I haven't seen a set for sale for awhile and don't even remember what they sold for but the $250 just felt right. I think I'm excited!
                  A nice buy indeed. However, plan to spend at least a day detailing them every time you want to show the car. And plan to polish them often to keep them from rusting. To do it right you have to take off the wheel and polish from both sides doing each spoke. I had a set on the '83 Avanti that I bought new and I decided never again.
                  On the other had, yes, they really look sharp.

                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm naive to the brands that were used on the Avanti II's. In the back of my feeble brain somewhere I think the Borranis were knock off style, though.

                    I know maintenance is a pain. My plan is to store them with tires on them and install them for special occasions.

                    ErnieR






                    On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Those are Dayton's as they bolt on direct. I run Borrani's on my car that require the knock off adaptors. I still have a spare set of 5 that I may sell down the line but they won't go for $250. Unless you are preparing for a serious show they are not that hard to keep up once they are clean. My favorite cleaner was a two step product from Eagle One. They have now discontinued it as the box took up to much shelf space according to the sales rep from Eagle One. You got a good buy.
                      Denny L

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        FWIW a nice set of true spokes or Daytons run around $1400.00
                        so thats a beautiful find, well worth the maint to keep them presentable


                        1964 Daytona Wagonaire


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My grandparent's Avanti II had Daytons on it when they bought the car. After the peeling chrome on the inside of the rim puctured way too many intertubes, a set of Chrysler wheels and repop Avanti wheel covers took the place of the Daytons. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

                          Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have a set of Tru Spokes sitting here for an as of yet undetermined project. A very good find at that price. JLasvegas is correct that they usually run in the $1400 range.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Do these wheels require a tube?

                              Ernier

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X