Questions about Scotsman sedans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Scotsman sedans

I'm trying to learn more about these cars to see if a future project I've dreamed up might work...

Did the '57 Scotsman use the Champion/Commander/President body and chassis? Was the frame lighter then the v8 cars? (I know the brakes, rear axle and maybe springs were.)

Were any changes made for '58, or did they just keep them the same as the '57's?

I know they don't show up at the meets very often, but how hard are they to find in the boneyards?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

The '58 Scotsman is not the same as '57, the front fender air vent doors were eliminated on MOST, the tail lights changed, the grille changed and the biggie, is that the roof was "flattened" like all '58 and on Studebakers, so the bodies do not interchange. Even a very few 259 V-8's were built! [:0]
    Studebaker 2Dr. Sedans except H.D. Police/Taxi and Jet Thrust Larks all have the lightest frame.

Scotsman 6's use the Champion 6 Brakes, Commander/Presidents use the larger V-8 Brakes, (finned on Pres. 289 cars). Same with the Transmission, clutch and Rear axle.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mausersmth

I'm trying to learn more about these cars to see if a future project I've dreamed up might work...
      Did the '57 Scotsman use the Champion/Commander/President body and chassis? Was the frame lighter then the v8 cars? (I know the brakes, rear axle and maybe springs were.) Were any changes made for '58, or did they just keep them the same as the '57's? Charles Eck
      Adding (a little bit) to Dad's comments~
      While the roofline is different- that's not to say the body/chassis parts don't (won't) interchange. They do. A parts book would help you determine exactly what you want to know. Also on a Scotsman~ the '57s had a chrome 'turd' orniment on the hood that '58s do not.

We've got a few threads along this line here somewhere- I'd do a search to find pictures and other cross-talk that may help you...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
      San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
      '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I remember several years ago, in Collectible Automobile, Scotsmans were in the Cheap Wheels column. The copy stated that radios were not offered, but there is a photo of the dash and there is a Stude radio. Was it an aftermarket?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S_Ferrell

I remember several years ago, in Collectible Automobile, Scotsmans were in the Cheap Wheels column. The copy stated that radios were not offered, but there is a photo of the dash and there is a Stude radio. Was it an aftermarket?
          Contrary to some literature a radio WAS offered on the Scotsman; even signal seeker radio with dual rear antennae.[:0] The only 'extra' that was required for the Scotsman to accept a radio was AC2915 'Radio Installation Kit'

Craig

Comment

As to availability, there was one here in Redding that had a complete interior, nearly complete exterior though was missing the engine and tranny. However, scrap iron prices being what they were this summer might have been the end of it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have a question about the Scotsman. Where is the air vents? How do you get air inside the car?

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
              As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

I have a question about the Scotsman. Where is the air vents? How do you get air inside the car?
                On the '57s (and some '58s) the vents are in the fenders. On the rest the air came in through the grille as it did on the other '58 Studes and Packards. The trick is that most (if not all?) had no Climatizer, so it didn't really matter- that's why the windows rolled down!!! A look at the parts book may help you to 'picture' it.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                former '58 Scotsman owner
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Now that I'm learning a bit about Scotsmans (Scotsmen?) how many are in the boneyards? The project I'd like to try would need a salvagable body and frame, not a complete car. I want a mild custom as a future project, figure a Scotsman is already mostly dechromed. Plus, starting with one pulled from a junkyard I wouldn't be tempted to do a partial restoration, it would be a complete rebuild. plus, less of a guilt factor when modifying a salvaged car. (At least for me!) After all, I'm saving it from the crusher, not 'ruining' a survivor!

Charles Eck
                  Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
                  '66 Ford F-250
                  '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mausersmth

/Cut/Plus, starting with one pulled from a junkyard/CuT/
                    Charles, the chances of you finding one in junkyard are very low, in the Eastern Half of the U.S. where are you going to find one that has pre 1980 cars with STEEL still on them?
                    Where you find them is in Studebaker owners backyards! As an SDC Member you will be able to place a free want ad for one!

Also by joining the local Chapter of SDC personal contacts lead to many possibilities for finding what you want.

And then there is ebay! Another good source IF you know what you are getting, by you or someone in a local Chapter LOOKING AT the car!
                    StudeRich

Comment

There is a Scotsman on a used car lot in Louisa, Virginia that has been sitting there for about 3 years. I believe it is still there. They want $2,500.00 for it, way too much.

Plus a possum died in it and the smell will knock you out, when you open the door.

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Wow, $500.00 and a can of Fabreeze or Oust ought to buy that one!

Of course, that would not be the permanent fix, I think we talked about that on another post about this car!

AND, it is a rare 2 Dr. Sedan! Looks solid on the topside, being a RUSTBELT area car, you need to look underneath of course. [^]
                        StudeRich

Comment

quote:AND, it is a rare 2 Dr. Sedan! Looks solid on the topside, being a RUSTBELT area car, you need to look underneath of course.
                          I don't think central Virginia is a rustbelt area. We have only one or two snow storms a year, and it usually melts the next day. We haven't had one yet this year.

Leonard Shepherd
                          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by lstude

There is a Scotsman on a used car lot in Louisa, Virginia that has been sitting there for about 3 years. I believe it is still there. They want $2,500.00 for it, way too much.

Plus a possum died in it and the smell will knock you out, when you open the door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This Scotsman two door is still sitting on the used car lot. It has been there at least since the fall of 2006. All of the Studebaker nuts in this part of the world checked it out at the time, but walked away because of the $2500 asking price and the stench!![xx(][xx(] The car is complete and perhaps by now the price and smell have both subsided.

The car is located outside the Town of Gordonsville, on US 33 East in Louisa County towards the Town of Louisa and Richmond, VA.

Frank Drumheller
                            Louisa, VA
                            60S-W6
                            1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

What's up with those tri-color taillamps? I don't recall seeing any tri-color taillamps prior to the mid-1970s...

Comment

Working...
                              X