No announcement yet.

Finally got the hood open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim , all 64 convertibles are considered rare because of the low production number of 702 .
    come on up to Dunnville if you’d like to see another one .
    thst 1580 number hasn’t anything to do with convertibles but mainly total productions of all Cdn cars that went down the line .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Also Jim if you haven’t joined the SDC you should , it’s a world of info .
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks 2R5 I did join SDC and thank you . I would love to see your car when the weather get alot warmer its a gorgeous car and I hope mine turns out as nice . I'm surprised buy the support I've got already Thanks again

Jim

Comment

There was a total of 702 1964 Daytona Convertibles built in 1964 as far as I remember. I believe I also saw somewhere that there were 159 Daytona Convertibles built in Canada. The C on the serial number does indicate it is a Canadian built car. So having a 6 cylinder 64 Daytona built in Canada is rare.

I did a little more research and found an article: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog...-of-fresh-air/.
          It corrects the total of South Bend and Hamilton production. Hamilton production numbers are listed as 286. It has a nice picture of Miss Dominion of Canada with a 1964 Daytona Convertible.

I used to say the only exercise I get is pushing 70, but I joined a gym Monday and Sunday I turn 70.

Bob Miles
          Things are fuzzy as I have CRS

Comment

Jim it’s great you joined the SDC now it would be good to also join the Hamilton Chapter of SDC , we have about 66 members all are great people and most are willing to help.
            if interested you can email me rstude at rogers dot com
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by James lalonde View Post
              /Cut/ I just got the serial number from the block it says SCK 310 the number on the fire wall is S-L8 7210 and the number on the post is c101580 /Cut/Jim
              Jim, Your Engine was Assembled Oct. 10, 1963 !

S= 6 Cyl.
              C= Canada
              K = October
              3 = 1963
              10 = the 10th. Day

The Production Order should show the CAR was built before 1964, that makes it EVEN more Rare than just one of 159 Canadian Convertibles, it would have been built for Sale in Canada before the Export to USA Cars were built, part of a MUCH smaller group.

The Body Tag S-L8 shows it is a 6 Cylinder '64 Daytona Convertible.

In Canada, I believe the Body Number is Not of '64S Convertibles like US Bodies were, but sequential among ALL '64 Sixes? Built in Canada?
              Hamilton's Body numbering system was very poor.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

2R5 thank you and I would like to join the Hamilton club when my son gets home from the road I will have to get him set up your email address in my phone because I'm a idiot when it comes to that stuff I tried 3 times but I don't have a clue how to do it thanks

Jim
                Last edited by James lalonde; 01-12-2022, 03:02 AM.

Comment

StudeRich thanks for the explanation on how that worked when I get the production order I will definitely post a picture of it thanks for your help and thanks to everyone who has been walking me through this. This site is incredibly everyone has been so helpful I really appreciate all of you to take the time to help.

Thanks jim

Comment

6hk71400 thank you for the information and thanks for the article and for your explanation on why it's rare I wasn't sure if the engine had been changed because none of the numbers were matching and I will post the production order when I get it thanks again for the article it was interesting

jim

Comment

All 1964 Engines V8's and Sixes alike do have the code unique to 1964. The code as StudeRich pointed out tells the tale. There may have been many engines made that day with that engine number. When you get the production order that will give you build date.

As Hamilton did not have a foundry all engines were built in South Bend. At the beginning of the model year there were high hopes for the redesigned 64 models and the foundry may have been going great guns. As the sales figures started coming in, it was apparent as there were still leftover 63's which impacted the 64 sales. The plants slowed down to as I remember to 25 cars a day. When November 22, 1963 occurred, the factory shut down which resulted in the decision to shut down South Bend with a press release on December 9 stating that. Production was to be continued at Hamilton.

There may be records somewhere as to how many engines were stockpiled but it was not enough to sustain production pass 1964. To avoid lawsuits by the dealers, there had to be a 1965 model that would not have the Studebaker engines.

I am hazarded a guess that the engine is original.

Bob Miles
                      Out on a limb but don't saw it off

Comment

6hk72400 thanks I appreciate your time to help me with the information you have given me and when the build sheet comes I will definitely be posting it in here its a great feeling knowing that people still are willing to help others you have a great day thanks again

Jim

Comment

Well I just received a message from the Studebaker museum and they have no information about my car in there archives matching my serial number C 101580 so I'm not sure where to go from here other than just build what I have

Jim

Comment

Well I just received a message from the Studebaker museum and they have no information about my car in there archives matching my serial number C 101580 so I'm not sure where to go from here other than just build what I have

Jim
                            Jim here a previous forum post that may help a little bit:

​​​​​​https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....on#post1619496

By my guessing from that information, your car was built after January 1st, 1964. So my second guess is someone should have the Hamilton production figure and specs somewhere.
                            My third guess is your car is a straight 3 speed without overdrive. I did not see a kick down switch on the carb linkage to take the car out of overdrive. Is there a second lever next to the hood lever inside the car?

Bob Miles
                            We need Perry Mason, with Paul Drake, not Perry Como

Comment

Jim
                              More information: according to the link on an article posted below, only 55 6 cylinder Daytona Convertibles were built in Hamilton. The link has lots of ad noise so just click on the x on the top right corner to get rid of the google ads. I usually say not interested.

https://classicregister.com/id-guide...ebaker-daytona

You may have one of the only few that survived. When you get a chance, could we see more pictures of the car?

Bob Miles
                              Somewhere there is an answer to these questions

Comment

Well I took a picture of under the dash there's a a white nob and I think the other is a floor vent that pulls out

Comment

Working...
                                X