Finally got the hood open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got the hood open

Well its been almost a week but I got the hood open dosen't look bad but dosen't look good there's a frost plug blown out. Could anyone tell me where the serial number is on the block and its a 6 cylinder

I took a screen grab of your third photograph and added a red circle where the serial number is located: The driver's side of the block, at the front, on a flat, machined pad, just below the bottom of the cylinder head. The numbers will be stamped (recessed).

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-cyl_serial_number_location.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1927638
    Attached Files
    Mark L

Comment

Sweet thanks so much for your help Mark its been driving me crazy looking for it lol mind you it a short trip for me but thanks again

Jim

Comment

James,
        After looking over your pictures, what year and model are you working on? Curious as I own a couple of 64s with the OHV Six. Hope all works out well.
        Thanks,
        Rick

Comment

Based on the alternator, it is either a 63 or 64. I could not read the body tag on the right of the firewall, but therein lies the tale of the year.

Bob Miles
          You need a battery to drive you crazy.

Comment

Thanks bob its a 64 daytona convertible and the number on the wall is S-L8 7219 and your right about the battery lol πŸ˜†

Comment

Rick it a 64 daytona convertible and it has a six in it I'm hoping someone punched the frost plug out I will find out when I get into it more thanks Rick

Jim

Comment

Congratulations on your first achievement. Does it turn over? If it were mine, I would check compression before you spent too much on the engine. If it turns over, lube the cylinders via spark plug holes and see if its worth trying to start. Good luck and keep us posted.
                Bob
                Bob
                Welland Ontario
                60 Lark Convertible
                64 Daytona
                sigpic
                "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Thanks Bob I haven't tried yet someone knocked out a frost plug I just got the serial number from the block it says SCK 310 the number on the fire wall is S-L8 7210 and the number on the post is c101580 time to start looking up all these numbers and I'm just getting ready to pull the plugs to see if it will move and thanks for the advice

Jim
                  Last edited by James lalonde; 01-11-2022, 09:27 AM.

Comment

It is the 1580th six cylinder 1964 car assembled in Hamilton (Canada).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary how can I find out if the motor is a matching numbers car I appreciate your information

Thanks jim

Comment

Jim you can get the built sheet through the Studebaker museum
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks sigpic I will definitely look that up it would be great to know all of it thats for sure
                          Thanks I just ordered it 4 to 6 weeks I have lots of time I'm retired now lol

Jim
                          Last edited by James lalonde; 01-11-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Jim it’s always good to have your cars built sheet especially when you have one of the rare models ….you have 1 of 702 built πŸ‘Œ
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks 2R5 but how do you know its a rare one Gary was saying it's one of 1580 made how did you get 702 I've been look for all that information and I can't find it anywhere ?I'm assuming the 1580 came from the serial number on the door because it's C101580 and I really appreciate all your information rebuilding this car is going to be a great experience and all the information I'm getting is very impressive from you and everyone else I'm so glad I joined this site everyone has been so helpful thanks again

jim

Comment

Working...
                              X