Drive-Away Shipper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Wilson View Post
    The picture and the link are from 1929. It says the address at that time was 1337 South Flower Street, in Los Angeles.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by mrelmtow View Post
      I have been doing some research online and have not found any answers. On the top of my drive away shipper form in the Sold To box it has "Factory Zone South Bend Indiana" all XXXXX'd out and has Studebaker Automotive Sales Corporation 3060 E. 44th Street Los Angeles 58, California typed in. I am trying to find out if anyone has information about this place as if it was a dealership (I did check the dealer list online and there is nothing for this address), Stude engineering facility, factory, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
      Wait until Rich Gahlbeck chimes in. When he worked for Frost & French, he picked up parts there back in the day!

Craig

Comment

Thank you Bob. Why would you think it would be sent to a zone office and not a retail dealer? Have you seen this before?
        Mike
        Gosh, there could be any number of reasons. Perhaps for use by a specific person there? Maybe it was going to be stored there until they found a buyer for it, like the infamous Lot 151 destination in South Bend; i.e, purgatory, as I've fondly called it!

If a specific Shipper's Order gave the name of a certain person at the other end, that would help explain it.

Yes, I have seen these before, but can't suggest the reason for them being consistent. Perhaps Dick Quinn will chime in. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          If a specific Shipper's Order gave the name of a certain person at the other end, that would help explain it.
          ]
          Looking at the Plus Package paperwork I bought from the museum, the car also has 2 Production Orders one written in April pre-build and a second dated 1 1/2 months after build with an "A" added to the factory order number. The April dated one also has hand written the destination is #24 LA on wk 8/17. I haven't seen this on any of my other cars, do you know what is the purpose of 2 orders?

Mike
          Mike

1963 R2 Super Hawk 4 Speed
          1963 R2 Hawk 4 Speed
          1964 R2 Daytona Full Package Car

Comment

The second production order would have been issued to make a change(s) in something on the first one for a car still unsold. The change could have been a new destination, added accessories, etc.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Looking at the Plus Package paperwork I bought from the museum, the car also has 2 Production Orders one written in April pre-build and a second dated 1 1/2 months after build with an "A" added to the factory order number. The April dated one also has hand written the destination is #24 LA on wk 8/17. I haven't seen this on any of my other cars, do you know what is the purpose of 2 orders?

Mike
              What Skip said, Mike. You'd be surprised how many Production Orders are re-written after a vehicle has already been built but a customer wants a similar one with added or deleted options. If the "already built" one has no buyer, they might reconfigure a similar one to fill the order.

A lot of that went on at the very end when there were so many unsold cars on lots in South Bend. A given car might be pulled back in, say, to have something as major as air conditioning added, just to move it out of town to a sold buyer. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X