Drive-Away Shipper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-Away Shipper Question

I have been doing some research online and have not found any answers. On the top of my drive away shipper form in the Sold To box it has "Factory Zone South Bend Indiana" all XXXXX'd out and has Studebaker Automotive Sales Corporation 3060 E. 44th Street Los Angeles 58, California typed in. I am trying to find out if anyone has information about this place as if it was a dealership (I did check the dealer list online and there is nothing for this address), Stude engineering facility, factory, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike
    Mike

1963 R2 Super Hawk 4 Speed
    1963 R2 Hawk 4 Speed
    1964 R2 Daytona Full Package Car

That address is about 3 blocks away from the Studebaker LA (Vernon) assembly plant. Perhaps it was a location associated with the plant?

4530 Loma Vista Ave. Vernon, CA

I'm going to make up the following...

LA customer buys a Studebaker and tells the salesman he will pick it up at the LA factory to save shipping. The salesman agrees but doesn't know that Studebaker can't make that model at Vernon (or Studebaker screws up and produces it in South Bend by mistake). The deal has been made, so Studebaker has to get the car to Vernon for delivery.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

What is the date on that Drive-Away Shipper Order, Mike? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        That address is about 3 blocks away from the Studebaker LA (Vernon) assembly plant. Perhaps it was a location associated with the plant?

4530 Loma Vista Ave. Vernon, CA

I'm going to make up the following...

LA customer buys a Studebaker and tells the salesman he will pick it up at the LA factory to save shipping. The salesman agrees but doesn't know that Studebaker can't make that model at Vernon (or Studebaker screws up and produces it in South Bend by mistake). The deal has been made, so Studebaker has to get the car to Vernon for delivery.
        When doing searches the address shows up as both LA and Vernon. I wasn't sure if that was an error or maybe a city remapping? Your scenario does sound logical.
        Mike

1963 R2 Hawk 4 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          What is the date on that Drive-Away Shipper Order, Mike? BP
          Bob,

The date is 8/20/1962.
          Mike

1963 R2 Hawk 4 Speed

Comment

Vernon CA is in Los Angeles, about 5 miles south of downtown.
            The joke that "Los Angeles is 100 suburbs in search of a city" applies here.
            There are incorporated areas of Los Angeles (think Burbank, Malibu, Pasadena, and Vernon) and there are unincorporated areas of Los Angeles. There is even an incorporated area called Los Angeles. While there may be a sign saying something like "Pasadena next 5 exits" there are no real geographical borders between these places in real life. When I drive from my house in incorporated Agoura Hills to next door Malibu, I have no clue when I have crossed the city lines.
            Los Angeles can mean the City of Los Angeles, or it can mean the Los Angeles County. In the case of the Studebaker plant, it means the county.

Comment

Originally posted by mrelmtow View Post
              The date is 8/20/1962.
              Almer Stilwell "Mike" Monroney, a U.S. senator from Oklahoma 1951 - 69. In 1958, he sponsored a bill titled the Automobile Information Disclosure Act. At its core, this bill was intended to help consumers understand why the price of a new car was what it was. Until that time, there were no window stickers on cars, no clear and concise explanation of the price and cost of optional extras.

Hidden in the bill was a poison pill. IIRC, the Teamsters Union and the railroads paid off enough legislators to have the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958 require a destination charge on each and every vehicle. It did away with saving the shipping cost by "picking it up at the factory".

Now, even if one signs up for the Corvette special tour and factory delivery at Bowling Green, he still gets ripped for the full $1095 Destination Charge. The Teamsters Union and the railroads got it written into law manufacturers and/or dealerships may not waive the charge.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

You absolutely correct Jack about the Corvette example still paying full shipping and taking delivery directly across the street at National Corvette Museum. You pay another $995 for that opportunity.
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

The date is 8/20/1962.
                  Well, there goes my theory. The Studebaker LA Assembly Plant closed in 1956.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob,

The date is 8/20/1962.
                    The SOLD TO box just indicates the name and address to whom the vehicle was sold. The last Vernon CA-built Studebakers were 1956 models, so if yours has a date of August 20, 1962, it just means it was sold and shipped to a Zone Office, not a retail dealership. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

The SOLD TO box just indicates the name and address to whom the vehicle was sold. The last Vernon CA-built Studebakers were 1956 models, so if yours has a date of August 20, 1962, it just means it was sold and shipped to a Zone Office, not a retail dealership. BP
                      Thank you Bob. Why would you think it would be sent to a zone office and not a retail dealer? Have you seen this before?
                      Mike
                      Mike

1963 R2 Hawk 4 Speed

Comment

Automotive Sales Corp., in L.A — Calisphere

Comment

The address is listed in the parts catalog for the Parts Depot in Los Angeles and the Zone Office was probably in the same location.

I picked up parts for the family dealership and the Allison Park (Pittsburgh, PA) Parts Depot and Zone Office were in the same building.
                          Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Comment

Why would you think it would be sent to a zone office and not a retail dealer?
                              Mike
                              Maybe the buyer was an employee of the Studebaker corporation.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X