Muppet Car Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muppet Car Article

Nice article about the future restoration. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ppet-movie-car

Originally posted by Nick Wilson View Post
    Nice article about the future restoration. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ppet-movie-car
    Nice article. The main error was referring to a Champion engine as a "V6". I would think that the desired result could be obtained with much less money. Has the SNM considered a less agressive approach and going out for quote?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It does seem like a whole lot of money.

Comment

Guys, we should trust The Studebaker National Museum to be good stewards of monies donated. None of us (that I know of) are in a position to undertake restoring that car, and we may be assured that any donated money not used to restore that car will be placed in the General Restoration and Maintenance Fund for all the museum's cars. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well said, Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Guys, we should trust The Studebaker National Museum to be good stewards of monies donated. None of us (that I know of) are in a position to undertake restoring that car, and we may be assured that any donated money not used to restore that car will be placed in the General Restoration and Maintenance Fund for all the museum's cars. BP
            I used to feel that way (trust of SNM). The sale of Valpey's Indy racer ended that impression. The SNM knew what the car was and could have bid remotely, but instead sent two people to California.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, I have had the honor having the Muppet Car on display for a six month period several years ago at the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown Pa. The car was presentable but was in need of total restoration. I, as well, trust the museum as does Bob does and so do many others.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

This thread was not meant to be a Thread bashing the SNM. It's also a thread for people to talk about the restoration which includes a hefty price tag. I for one hope it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary

Perhaps you are not out of pocket several thousands of dollars, that I am, due to a SNM error.
                  Obviously, there is more to that story than one sentence here might disclose...and this is hardly the place to discuss the particulars, Gary.

As to sending people to bid on Valpey's car; bidding on line usually carries a hefty penalty as to a Buyer's Premium over an on-site bid.

(And I would just as soon be at an auction to bid in person to judge whether or not competing bids are real or those of a shill....not that any such shenanigans occur nowadays, of course. ) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Do not get me wrong. I am not anti-SNM in general. I send them a check every year and they are a beneficiary in my will.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I look forward to seeing this car returned to its movie glory days!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	latest?cb=20190520005025.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1928459
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                      X