X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Krem's '60 2 door

Can you say "sleeper" [8D]

George sent this with the pictures...

"The car has Avanti wheels...they're a little wider than the Lark originals and they accept Stude small hubcaps. Tires are Firestone Wide Oval F-70 X 15, which is a reproduction tire that many Pure Stock Drag participants have found to be quite good for traction at the strip. Apparently, the tread compound is not as hard as normal street tires. (There's no tread wear rating on these repros). "

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Can you get these tires at Firestone or maybe Coker.I have an identical looking lark i want to make a sleeper also.

clonelark
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

IS this the Blown lark? looks awesome

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

That's a great looking car. Pure sleeper. Nice job George. Thanks for posting the pics Dick. Now we're waiting for pictures of the interior .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

...I'll bet you CAN!

What a beaut...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

Is this the blown lark? looks awesome
            Yes, this is the blown Lark. Only the engine room pictures were shown in the other thread.

Yes, Coker sells the reproduction F70X15 Firestone Wide Oval tires shown on the car. That's where George got them, IIRC. They're readily available...but $170 each, plus freight, per their 2008 catalog.[:0] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep, I can say "sleeper".

And I can also say "I want one like that!"

Love That Lark...

S.

Comment

That car.....is the definition, of sleeper []

Webster has a picture of it right by the definition.

Question is.....who and what model will become the first grocery getting victim? [B)]

ChopStu
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. It's been fun putting this Lark together. Authenticity trivia quiz: There is something about the exterior of this '60 Lark that's not quite authentically stock....haven't had time to fix it yet, but I will. It's not easy to see....has anyone spotted it, yet? (No, it's not the Avanti wheels...they look stock, anyway.)

I probably shouldn't ask this because someone may spot something I haven't noticed yet! Thanks for the post, Dick.

George

george krem
                  george krem

Comment

George,

Just a WAG. The lack of chrome headlight rims???

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

C-O-O-L sleeper ya got there, George!!

Amazing how a simple rim/tire swap to a set of 15's completely alters the ~look~ of that Lark (for the better, of course).[^]

Frank Remlinger
                      SDC# A004602R
                      Frank Remlinger
                      Detroit, Michigan
                      SDC# A004602R

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fastfritz

Amazing how a simple rim/tire swap to a set of 15's completely alters the ~look~ of that Lark (for the better, of course).[^]

Frank Remlinger
                        Frank: ALL 1960 Larks, every single one of them, had 15" wheels. It was a selling feature over the new, dinky 13" wheels on the freshly-minted Big-3 compacts for 1960.

However, those standard 15s were only 4.5" wide. The ones George has on there will be either 5" or 5.5" wide, with all the offset toward the outside for a deeper look. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OK....the plastic wiper blade holders are the offending parts. They're hard to see, but if the original type stamped stainless holders were on the car, you could easily see light reflection from them. They can be seen the best on the middle photo, since it's more of a frontal view. As Ron Hall used to say "Picky, picky."

The stainless trim around the front window and backlite was part of the "F4 kit" option, which included a few things from the Regal trim models. This car was built with the F4 kit. But all Deluxe models (like this one) had painted headlight rims. I looked in a 1960 factory brochure, and every single '60 pictured except the Gulfstream Blue Lark Deluxe had chrome rims, so chrome rims were very common.

Now to scrape off the undercoating for lighter weight...anyone got some tricks to get it off? I've found heat helps.

George

george krem
                          george krem

Comment

George, you piped up before I could respond, but I couldn't see those wipers from those shots, anyway...would have never spotted that. [B)] The window trim caught my eye, but I thought you were talking about the grill emblem. It looks different somehow from stock in those shots. Is it? Did you go with heavy duty springs, sway bars, etc, a la the later Package cars? It sits up high and sturdy, that's for sure. I had new HD springs on my black convertible and it sat up way too high in the front for me. Yours looks just right all the way around. [^]

Comment

REALLY cool![8D] Of course, I am prejudiced towards Larks

I'd love to see that car with Wide whites If I had photoshop (and had any idea how to use it[:I]) she'd already have a set

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X