1954 Commander sold at Mecum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Commander sold at Mecum

This was an exceptionally nice car. Really beautiful condition. Sold for $7500 +10% premium. I was bidding on it. In hindsight I wish I would have bid a little more. Kind of surprised that it was listed as a Champion, when it clearly says ‘Commander’ right on the grille.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...aker-champion/
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

A V-8 with an overdrive makes a good road car.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

That is a nice looking car!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Well worth the price and premium.
        I hope to see more of the sedans being appreciated.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

It's basically a 4-door sedan with the rear doors welded shut. I don't understand why Studebaker offered this model of car. Too many 4-door sedan bodies sitting around not being sold I suppose, with a pent-up demand for 2-door models, so Studebaker cheated and made a 2-door out of a 4-door. Apparently, Studebaker's inside motto was 'Make do with what you have".
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's a pretty nice looking car... on the outside. Spend a couple days cleaning and detailing under the hood and it will be real nice. What is it with the Studebaker crowd, this is actually one of the cleaner engine compartments I've seen, most Studes I see look real nice until you open the hood and they look like every crusty junker in the wrecker. Not all but most; a few I've seen have been VERY nice!

Comment

A VERY Nice and rarely found in that condition, Commander 8 2 Door Sedan.

It does have a "Commander" Trunk Handle as well as the Grille Nameplate mentioned, it's a Mystery why it got advertised as a Champion.

The only thing that makes ANY sense is someone was thinking: a "Lowly 2 Door SEDAN", not a sporty Coupe or Hardtop, must be a Champion, of course without really Looking closely. ... "Didn't they only build those with Sixes?"
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That is a nice little car. 'Good to see there's a few nice ones still out there to be acquired and appreciated...and an ideal engine/transmission combination to boot. BP.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  It's basically a 4-door sedan with the rear doors welded shut. I don't understand why Studebaker offered this model of car. Too many 4-door sedan bodies sitting around not being sold I suppose, with a pent-up demand for 2-door models, so Studebaker cheated and made a 2-door out of a 4-door. Apparently, Studebaker's inside motto was 'Make do with what you have".
                  Brent,

The two door sedan (F-body) was offered right at the beginning of the 1953 model year. It was not an 'afterthought' from compromised four door sedan bodies. Studebaker thought they could economize with two-piece inner and outer rear quarter stampings which gave it that 'cut & paste' two door from a four door. Unfortunately, it was too obvious the rearmost stampings were shared with the four door sedan which gave it that awkward cut & paste appearance, and didn't fool anyone. In 1955, the more deluxe trim models had a vertical chrome strip that more or less covered the exposed seam, and starting in 1956, went with one-piece outer rear fenders. Of note, the inner rear quarter stampings remained two-piece right up until the end in 1966.

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 01-07-2022, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X