Paint is done........Yay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint is done........Yay

A little more than a year after applying the first coat of high build primer, I finally got paint on Dad's car. Sprayed the base on New Years eve and the clear on New Years day. With my make shift paint shop I got bugs in the clear the size of small birds but they have all been scraped out now. Still taking out the dust nibs, getting ready for a sand and buff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint 1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1926735

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint 2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1926736

Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Looks great Wayne! (And that's a really nice spray booth.)
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Love the color..........I used the same on my '54 Ford Customline Gasser. I used single stage with flatner though.

Comment

I have painted a lot of cars and none were done in a facility as nice as yours. This includes commercially. Of course, that was years ago. My friend's body shop paint booth is way ahead of yours.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I have painted a lot of cars and none were done in a facility as nice as yours. This includes commercially. Of course, that was years ago. My friend's body shop paint booth is way ahead of yours.
          Wow Gary, your friend must have a really really fancy spray booth if it's way nicer than Wayne's...........
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Wayne, that booth looks perfectly fine to me, it looks a Lot like the one My Son and I are building.
            About the only improvement that is obvious is sealing the Door and Windows so they don't have to be Taped shut.

Bugs in WINTER, we don't have that here.

We did put a Wall of Hepa Furnace Filters with Pre-Filters in the Back End to draw Air from the rest of the Shop and Dual Fans at the other End where the drive through door is, that Exits to Outdoors to draw it out. Then a Refrigeration Air Dryer/Cooler will get installed for the Compressor Air.
            We are using all Steel Walls and Ceiling covering, nothing outrageously expensive, just Expensive.

But it IS true, none of these Homemade on the cheap, spray booths are as efficient as an All Steel Commercial Booth.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Wow Gary, your friend must have a really really fancy spray booth if it's way nicer than Wayne's...........
              He does. It has things like filtered downflow air from the ceiling.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you are getting dust in your paint, sprinkle water on the floor about 5 minutes before you starting shooting. Old school body shops used to do this to keep the dust down. My first spray shop was a dirt floor horse barn. I wet the dirt before I sprayed and never had a dust problem.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

A coupla years ago I wanted to use our living room for a spray booth but my wife put the kibosh on it. Stoopid furniture anyway...
                  peter lee

Comment

Not to attempt to draw any special attention, but one of my (too many) carriers was selling finishing systems. For industrial applications, it could be as simple as a single cross-draft booth placed in a corner for spraying in-house equipment (maintenance) to full production conveyor system from the pump room, multiple down-draft booths and curing ovens. I have supplied systems to automotive, truck, aircraft, pharmaceuticals, and golf ball manufacturers. One thing they all have in common no matter if it’s a one man furniture maker or big corporation, they must comply with NFPA (National Fire Protection Code) 33 Spray Booth Regulations and Guidelines. Anytime I was asked to give advice on booth safety, I would refer the prospective customer to the code and tell them to also consult with their insurance agent and local fire marshal.

A comment regarding flow and filtration. When building your own booth, try to make the air flow in a linear manner. A down draft booth works best with an overhead intake air supply. A cross draft booth should have air intake directly on the opposite wall (usually doors with a grid of intake filters.) Air that has to change direction on the way to the filters causes turbulence that can pick up small particles that would otherwise stay put and toss them into your paint job.

I will end this post with a confession…At various times, in my backyard, I have broken about all the codes and rules.😳🙄
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

plee4139, that's why I spray in the basement .

Comment

Paint looks great! It's always exciting to finally get to that point. Now you just have to assemble it. Maybe ready to drive in the Spring?

Comment

Working...
                        X