go-kart kustom koupes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go-kart kustom koupes?

How many custom pickups of note were made from '53-4 coupes? I can think of one dazzling one that unfortunately got burned up in a California wildfire. Wasn't there at least another one (possibly with Hawk fins!) that wasn't too shabby? And who knows how many Sawz-all and acetylene versions were hacked out?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

There was one here in N.J. mounted on a Corvette frame back in the day around 1970 , It was owned by Ken Otto , I wonder if it survived ? , It was a Big Block rocket ship , Ed

Comment

Dick's Kart Hauler Not sure if this one burnt. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...er-kart-hauler

Tim Painter's paintim613 on the forum. https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

For starters, Bob

​​​​​​​

Comment

Yes, the Kart Hauler is the one that burned.

Here's one that sold recently:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1926019 Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1926020 Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1926021

Last edited by Studedude; 12-30-2021, 04:18 PM.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

That looks very nice!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

There was a homemade 55 model in the San Francisco Bay Area at least twenty years ago. It had a grill (or maybe a headache board) made of rebar and the car was a reddish color, IIRC.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

You are remembering correctly Radioroy….the ‘ homemade’ Studemino is red, was built in San Francisco by a carpenter that ‘ needed a truck’ sometime in the sixties or seventies. It was built from a 55 President K model…was found in a Sacramento, Ca. back yard resting under some trees. It now resides with me in Petaluma, Ca. and is undergoing a return to the road. The buck tooth rebar grill has been replaced with a stock 55 grill…..more to come. The Studemino rides again!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                Dick's Kart Hauler Not sure if this one burnt. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...er-kart-hauler

Tim Painter's paintim613 on the forum. https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

For starters, Bob
                While ours is actually a hard top convertible it is sometimes called a truck because of its over sized trunk for storing the roof. The trunk lid is from a '46 Oldsmobile. Full history of car in January, 2017, Hemmings Motor News. Https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/customized-by-mags
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Grease Garage View Post
                  You are remembering correctly Radioroy….the ‘ homemade’ Studemino is red, was built in San Francisco by a carpenter that ‘ needed a truck’ sometime in the sixties or seventies. It was built from a 55 President K model…was found in a Sacramento, Ca. back yard resting under some trees. It now resides with me in Petaluma, Ca. and is undergoing a return to the road. The buck tooth rebar grill has been replaced with a stock 55 grill…..more to come. The Studemino rides again!
                  Way to go Sebas!!
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I was hoping you would answer that question I didn’t want to step on any toes

Comment

Here's a blog I did on mine...

http://studeute.steinkamp.us/

All the blog entries are actually a collection of posts that I made on this forum during the restoration.

The entries are newest to oldest so you may want to start at the bottom of the page.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X