Studebaker Uncovered - Sitting for 32 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Uncovered - Sitting for 32 Years

This Lark Convertible has been sitting, off the road, for 32 years.........................
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Looks like a nice car, but only 32 years off the road...kid stuff. My '46 pickup has been off the road and stored for 67 years. And, sad to say, the last 47 of that I've owned it.

Comment

Cool indeed!
      I wouldn't touch the rough outside, it would be cool to have comments from people remembering it just like it was... Nowadays it's either total renovations or "ratty" style but preserved original drivers are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        This Lark Convertible has been sitting, off the road, for 32 years.........................
        Great memories of that car and the former owner.........

Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

This story really hit close to home for me as I've been "working" on a 1960 Lark convertible for the past 18 years. I had it stripped and painted 15 years ago, had the interior done (but not installed) 10 years ago and the engine rebuilt 5 years ago.

I finally got a "round to it" this past summer and am making good progress on putting it back together with a goal of having it on the road in 2022.

It's easy to see what starts out with good intentions gets sidetracked.

P.S. The car next to it is a 1931 Model A Ford roadster which took priority for a few of the years in between.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontClip.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1924431

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontClip1.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1924432
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Robert Browning
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post

Me too! Except for a trip a bunch of us got together very early one morning for a long trip to the York, Pa swap meet. I drove up from South Carolina to Jack White’s house and from there we kept driving north picking up fellow SDC members along the way. Carl was one of them. I believe we ended up with six of us before sunup! Great memories, except for me, they ended up kinda vague? Mainly because I had very little sleep the night before and I thought we were going to stay overnight in York. But, at about 3pm Jack came up to me and said, “time to load up for home!” I can’t remember if I bought anything? I was suffering from sleep deprivation, and sensory overload from all the great Studebaker parts for sale!

Carl was one of the passengers we had picked up. I joked that on such a long ride, with our ragtag group, we could gather a lifetime of blackmail if we had recorded all the “war stories and tall tales” that went back and forth on that trip. Carl worked in a can factory and by the time we dropped him off, I knew more about making cans than I ever wanted to know. However, I was so tired by the time I made it to my house, I had pretty much forgotten all Carl taught me. 😴😳😞

Seriously, Carl was a great guy and I remember him very fondly. 🙂 I’m not sure what your plans are for the car but I’m glad you have protected it from the elements. It’s very likely that we attended lots of those Myrtle Beach gatherings and shared casual conversations, never realizing how precious and fleeting those moments would be in our future memories.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Me too! .................. Seriously, Carl was a great guy and I remember him very fondly.
                Yes, some really great memories. Thanks for posting. Hard to believe Carl has been gone for 19 years this month.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

New 'Part 2' video with some 'lost' video footage not included in first video, plus Production Order and other documents from SNM review:
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

New 'Part 3' video, converting a sedan/hardtop front fender to work on the convertible:
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Part 4, installing the front sheetmetal on the convertible, is posted on YouTube:
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I would gain so much satisfaction going over this Lark with a clay bar...
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Really nice video!

Comment

If we didn't have cars sitting around half done or just waiting until we die how else are we going to say I'M GOING TO RESTORE THAT SOME DAY?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                              If we didn't have cars sitting around half done or just waiting until we die how else are we going to say I'M GOING TO RESTORE THAT SOME DAY?
                              I'm not going to restore this car some day. But I will get it running (already have the 289 V8 and 3 speed/OD, and a 3.73 Dana 44 Posi), fix the front floorboards, paint the front clip, put a new top on it, and drive it!
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X