55 president keys need cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 president keys need cutting

The po owner lost keys replaced ignition switch. I sent for production order and has 494 for ignition and 1201 for trunk. I called one locksmith he said it needs a letter also. Does anyone know why or who is competent to cut keys? the door locks have the outside flipper on them. thanks for any help.

A GOOD locksmith could do it !
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

We only have one 50 mile away, thats the price to live in boonies.

Comment

Believe me it's not just in the boonies that makes it hard to find a good locksmith. In the Seattle area some years ago many of the old locksmiths went out of business or were sold to people who call themselves locksmiths, but who are unwilling or unable to do some of the simplest tasks which had been a part of the trade.

Comment

So I'm confused. Are the doors locked and you can't get inside the car at all?
          Mark L

Comment

You asked about cutting Keys, that is done by coping ones you have, that any Hardware Store can do, if you order new Studebaker Key Blanks from a Studebaker Vendor.

But it sounds like what you need is to have one of your Door Locks "KEYED" because you may not have ANY Keys, that does require a Real Locksmith.

The other option is: Order the Full Set of all three New Locks at one of our vendors.
            President and Commander V8's had Hurd Brand Locks, but the Yale Locks for Champions & 6's CAN be used.
            This will require a New Ignition Switch as well, since that cheap 4 Cut key, replacement Ign. Lock and Switch can no longer be used.

https://studebakervendors.com.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 1963 & 64 Studebakers have 4-digit key codes, all numbers, no letters. Years ago I bought a '64 Avanti that was missing its ignition/door key. I took the key code from the production order to a local locksmith. He dusted off an old book, looked up the number, and then cut the key. It worked perfectly. So, your production order key codes should be correct if your car has its original locks. I think your locksmith was wrong about needing a letter in the code. He may be thinking about another make of car.

If you get the correct key blank it should slide into your lock(s), but not turn. The only issue is finding a locksmith who can cut keys using the key codes.
              -Dwight

Comment

the doors and trunk are unlocked. I read somewhere on this forum about some one that had quite a few keys ,but unable to find post now.

Comment

I didn't have the key codes for my 60 Hawk, but had the car disassembled, so I took the door and the trunk locks to a locksmith and he made up the keys for me. Since then, he has closed up shop, and I doubt any of the newer shops could do it.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by studegreen View Post
                    the doors and trunk are unlocked. I read somewhere on this forum about some one that had quite a few keys ,but unable to find post now.
                    I have the Studebaker Branded Keys in stock here at Studebakers Northwest, you can PM me.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• StudeRich
                      StudeRich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I returned Your PM thanks.

In addition to the key codes locksmiths used to have keys for a particular make car on a big keyring. The ring must have weighed close to five pounds. When I bought my 1953 in 1961 it had no door keys. There was an old locksmith not too far from where I lived, so I stopped up to see him, expecting I suppose that he would probe the lock and make a key that way. He handed me this big keyring and a needle nose pliers and told me to go to work. I think that it may have taken my fifteen minutes before I found one that fit the tumblers. I think it cost me about twenty five cents for the price to make a duplicate key. In past years I have seen these keyrings for sale online. I wonder about their survival and how many Studebaker owners my may have one?

Comment

I used an online locksmith to cut keys with my production order codes. Sorry, it's been a good long while and I don't remember who. My local locksmith is great with the modern keys, not so with the old ones. I guess he didn't have the code books for older stuff.

​​​​​​The key codes for my 54 are 4 digits, no letters.

Comment

Do you still have the original ignition switch? Take it to a locksmith and see if a Hurd H10 key will fit it. Other production orders have numbers only like yours, but some have 'HH' before the ignition/door key and 'S' before the trunk key.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The original switch is gone. I called someone on SDC links that is who told me code needed a letter to.

Comment

Working...
                          X