Asking vrs. final sale prices....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking vrs. final sale prices....

On average, what percentage of the original "asking" price do think our classic Studebakers finally sell for? I'm guessing about 60%.... Your thoughts?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

So much depends on the particular vehicle …. and the desperation of the financial circumstances of the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
      So much depends on the particular vehicle …. and the desperation of the financial circumstances of the seller.
      For true. There are those who say an auction is the only determination of value. That's only true if the seller has to be out of there. Some would-be sellers always have the option to keep the vehicle if their asking price isn't met.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

IMO, asking price is not relevant as many times it has no bearing on reality. A better metric may be variance from one of the established valuation tools such as Hagerty, Collector Car Review, etc
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Most Bring-A-Trailer Ads seem to bring what the owner wanted or More, none of the Cars they select are Junkers, so 100% +.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Most Bring-A-Trailer Ads seem to bring what the owner wanted or More, none of the Cars they select are Junkers, so 100% +.
            That is likely because in the case of a reserve, BAT "helps" the seller set a realistic price.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The 56 P-Hawk I wanted was 250 miles away and the seller wanted 8K. We talked several times on the phone. I told him I wasn't sure how to go about it since it was such a commitment to drive with a trailer and negotiate, etc... He quickly offered to sell for 6K. That did it for me. But when I got there the car was a lot rougher than I expected. I called my local Studebaker guru who told me where to look for issues, asked about my test drive before advising me to buy it quickly before the guy changes his mind. No regrets.
              I was asking 8K for my 56 Commander 4 door sedan (35,000 original miles!). I got no calls. So after I bought the Hawk, I dropped it to 6K to break even. I let the guy talk me down to 5,750.
              Every deal is different. You only need one buyer to get a good price, but you may have to wait for her/him. I thought my buddies beautiful red 61 hawk with sbc350/auto, Mustang2 susp and great interior and paint would sell easy for 18K... but he's still got it and has got no offers.
              Rafe
              Attached Files

Comment

Back to Bring a Trailer. How do we know what the asking price is? They are not published anywhere, even if a reserve is set. If no reserve, there is no asking price. So, that does not seem to be a good metric.

I have purchased several Studes using various valuation guides as a starting point over the last 20 years or so. So far, that has gotten me in the ballpark. I hope it works as well for me when I go to sell.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

There is no asking price on BaT. If there is no reserve set, you take whatever the final bid is.

Comment

As opposed to the eBay option of adding a Buy It Now (BIN) price; sometimes the BIN is realistic, sometimes it's hoping there's a greater fool.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

To get back to the O.P., my opinion is that an asking price, based on one or more of the reputable valuation guides, is likely to be close to the selling price if the seller is not in a desperate situation.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

For those of us who have post-war cars, in addition to our pre-war cars, a value guide may have some value to some, but not for me. All cars are different and with current owners' propensity to alter post-war Studebakers, the difference is immeasurable by virtually any value guide. Although I have nothing whatsoever against people who like their cars upgraded (altered), these cars have no value to me. If we are talking about 20% or 30% of a $12,000 car we are only talking about $2500-$3000. For the right car, while not insignificant, is a small price to pay. If it's the wrong car and we are considering it because it's a bargain, anything is too much.

When we look at pre-war cars any value from a value guide can be a joke. I'm not talking about a Model T or any other car that is often traded and for which the value can be documented. Up until fairly recently a restored 1937 President coupe would show up in the OCVG as being worth <$20,000. These cars now are trading in the neighborhood of $100,000>. A late friend who was considered a guru of all thing pre-war Presidents once told me that it was not unusual for the editors of a value guide to call him to find out the value of a particular pre-war Studebaker. He said that he could have grabbed any number out of the sky and that's what would have been published.

There are fastidious collectors out there who will pay whatever it costs to get the right car. For them the price is secondary to the car itself. For me it's all about the car, but fifty years ago it was about the bargain. Did I pay too much, hell I don't know or care. Was the car right and could I afford it, that's what counts. Five years later and I may not even remember what I paid for it. Obviously I'm as far removed as I can be from the mentality of a flipper. IMO anyone who is considering a post-war car for flipping is playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in the cylinder. Buy the right car! You know what it's worth to you. Haggle over the price, if you will, but don't let it get away, if it's the right car for you!

Comment

An old saying: Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten (or similar variations).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X