industrial engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• industrial engines?

Did Studebaker ever sell any industrial engines?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Studebaker sold 'crate engines' for decades, end users employed them as they chose.
    The Studebaker Champion 170 six was quite popular with boat builders. And I wouldn't be surprised that various Studebaker engines were purchased to power CD sirens and sawmills as well as for various military applications.

Comment

Perhaps 'quite popular' was an overstatement. My Studebaker crazy father owned an early inboard that had a Champion 6 replacement for the original Gray Marine whatever.
      Used to play in when I was a kid, and grew up with it parked out back. We never did get it launched.

Comment

If Ever, there was a Niche Market SOMEWHERE: Saudi Arabia, South America, Africa, USA you name it, for Specialized Vehicles: Commercial, Military etc. Studebaker would fill it!

So it would not surprise me that Engines would also be sold if needed.

Back in the early 1950's there were quite a few Champion Engines for Weasels being sold off from Surplus Military material Co's. In Fully Cosmoline or Wax coated Boxes and packed for overseas waterproof shipment.
        I still have the waterproofed Gasket Set from one Engine Dad bought.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X