AMC powered Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC powered Lark

A few years back I got outbid on a local Lark on eBay. It had been restored years previous, and on the way home from the body shop got rear-ended. The owner was so upset he drove it into the backyard and left it. The car was ignored for years, the house got foreclosed, and the new owners wanted it gone. It was a 60 4 dr., 6/stick.

A couple weeks later, I got an e-mail out of the blue from the winner. He's about 3 1/2 hours West of me. He was building a custom, and bought it just for the front fenders, wiper motor, and a few other odds and ends. He's an AMC guy, and was building a 401 for it. He wondered, since I had bid, if I was interested in the rest. It included the front clip off his car (decent fenders with only slight rust), plus the frame and running gear from his car, as he was building his own frame. He said to come and haul the rolling chassis and he'd follow me with the Lark in his trailer: $300 for everything, including delivery! I still have that car in a building; I straightened the frame and body, bought some stuff for it, then lost interest when I found out how cheap much better examples were...

While cruising eBay today, I noticed his favorite AMX was listed. It's a George Barris custom, well-documented and known worldwide. I e-mailed him and asked him if he ever finished the Lark. He had, and sent these pictures:

Definitely different!

If you want to see his custom AMX, it's here:

http://tinyurl.com/8d9qpn

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Nice!
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Does it have a automatic,or stick ,anybody want to guess?

Comment

Automatic, Brighten the pix, no clutch, auto shift handle with release button. Me Thinks.

Bob

Comment

I like: nice neat "Stude Rod" The AMX on ebay is nice also.

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

Yeah, I wish I had more pictures/info. The seats and shifter are obviously late 90s Blazer. I see he also added in-dash A/C!

I'm going to e-mail him and ask for more...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Somewhere I have a magazine with pictures of the AMX when it was originally on the show tour. I'd rather have the Lark.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

That tilt hood explains the fender gap which initially made my eyes pop open. And looks like the A piller interior piece that overlap the dash......are missing. Overall not bad.

Bams if you happen to receive some more pictures, engine compartment, and console, interior.....Pass them along.

ChopStu
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thats a neat custom.

Dylan
                  '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Few more pics from Mike; still looking for a couple more. He also wrote this:

"Bob,
                    It'll be for sale at the end of the year. It has a 425 hp 401 with indy aluminum heads, 727 Chrysler torque flite trans, Jaguar rear end (posi) 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, power disc brakes, electric doors, electric trunk, electric windows, digital dash and gauges, am/fm/cd quad stereo, 3 (three) DVD players, leather interior, air conditioning, tilt column, aluminum 2002 Z28 mags, (cut and re welded to fit) full steel tilt front end and I'm sure I forgot some stuff. Glad to hear you like it, it goes like a raped Ape! Mike"

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, lot of work, I notice some areas that could be improved, but I'm not going to ridicule. AT LEAST IT DIDN'T END UP WITH A SPOILER!

ChopStu
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X