This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Deciphering Serial and Tag

Hello again everyone. Well, finally went out and got the numbers off that 1955 Studebaker.

Serial Number: 8842072
    Tag Under Hood: 16G8 K5

Any help in deciphering these numbers is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

16G8 - 1955 Commander (Commander = V8 = good)
    K - hardtop (good! The two most desirable body styles are the C-coupe and K-hardtop.)
    5 - Regal trim
    285 - sequential body number

I'll be no help with the serial number; depending on where in the model year it falls it should have come with either a 224 or 259ci engine (same block 224/259/later 289, just different strokes.) I'm guessing the smaller one based on the body number. Nice car, anyway. Info can be found in the '55 shop manual, which has been reprinted (I just don't have it in front of me) also if you have the shop manual you can tell if the engine serial no. falls in the expected range for the car. Should have either a DG-250 automatic or a 3-speed stick, with or without overdrive. You might be able to find a paint code sticker stuck to the bottom of the glovebox, but it may have fallen off or be unreadable by now. If this is a potential resto project you already have enough info to order the build sheet.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

16G8 - 1955 Commander (Commander = V8 = good)
      K - hardtop (good! The two most desirable body styles are the C-coupe and K-hardtop.)
      5 - Regal trim
      285 - sequential body number

I'll be no help with the serial number; depending on where in the model year it falls it should have come with either a 224 or 259ci engine (same block 224/259/later 289, just different strokes.) I'm guessing the smaller one based on the body number. Nice car, anyway. Info can be found in the '55 shop manual, which has been reprinted (I just don't have it in front of me) also if you have the shop manual you can tell if the engine serial no. falls in the expected range for the car. Should have either a DG-250 automatic or a 3-speed stick, with or without overdrive. You might be able to find a paint code sticker stuck to the bottom of the glovebox, but it may have fallen off or be unreadable by now. If this is a potential resto project you already have enough info to order the build sheet.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thank you for the information. We're not exactly sure as to what we are going to do with this car. Most likely part it out since it doesn't have a title, eh, we'll see.

Comment

Thank you for the information. We're not exactly sure as to what we are going to do with this car. Most likely part it out since it doesn't have a title, eh, we'll see.

Comment

The serial number range also tells us the car was built in Los Angeles, and is a so-called 'early model' with the 224 engine.

Dwain G.

Comment

The serial number range also tells us the car was built in Los Angeles, and is a so-called 'early model' with the 224 engine.

Dwain G.

Comment

If it's a decent, solid car - no title is not much of an issue![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it's a decent, solid car - no title is not much of an issue![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X