Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Hemmings; What If Studebaker's Last Days Took a Different Path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Nothing to see here! Studebaker's time had run out, as had all the independent car manufacturers. The competition from the "Big Three" had left little on the bone for the rest of the industry. If Studebaker had survived the 60's, competition from the quickly emerging Japanese automotive industry would have finished the job that the BT had started.
    'Can't argue with that. Studebaker's last big chance was right after WWII, when George Mason pleaded with Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, and Packard execs, Boards of Directors, stockholders, etc., to merge while they were still fat and happy from the war years and had a legitimate chance to successfully compete with The Big Three with combined resources. He was a true visionary.

But they didn't call 'em "independents" for nothing, you know.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      Yes. I have a big binder of Stude fleet sales info, and there's plenty of material describing the features of the available 65-66 fleet vehicles. Those old enough to have dealt with the Avanti Parts Corporation in the 1970s may remember that its boss, John Duncan, had been the last manager of the Studebaker Fleet Sales Division.
      Thanks, Skip.

I would love to see that binder sometime. I was actually working on trying to purchase that '65 taxicab package car, but then that '62 Diesel I posted elsewhere that was sold new where I was born & raised crossed my path and so far, has put an end to that pursuit.

Stu Chapman also acknowledged Wally Naisbitt, who was Studebaker's Assistant Fleet Sales Manager for several years here:
      Some Canadian Stuebaker fleet vehicles 1958 - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum According to Stu, he served right up until 'the end' in 1966.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

'Can't argue with that. Studebaker's last big chance was right after WWII, when George Mason pleaded with Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, and Packard execs, Boards of Directors, stockholders, etc., to merge while they were still fat and happy from the war years and had a legitimate chance to successfully compete with The Big Three with combined resources. He was a true visionary.

But they didn't call 'em "independents" for nothing, you know.... BP
        Imagine if Studebaker had merged with Willys in 1953 rather than Kaiser merging with Willys in that year. Willys would have then been a division of Studebaker, with Willys no longer producing cars but continued the production of Jeeps and Jeep-based wagons in the Toledo factory. Studebaker automobile production may have still ended in 1966, but the Jeep and Studebaker's military truck production could have continued making a healthy profit to this day.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Thanks, Skip.

I would love to see that binder sometime. I was actually working on trying to purchase that '65 taxicab package car, but then that '62 Diesel I posted elsewhere that was sold new where I was born & raised crossed my path and so far, has put an end to that pursuit.

Stu Chapman also acknowledged Wally Naisbitt, who was Studebaker's Assistant Fleet Sales Manager for several years here:
          Some Canadian Stuebaker fleet vehicles 1958 - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum According to Stu, he served right up until 'the end' in 1966.

Craig
          Craig-
          I looked at that binder of fleet documents more carefully, and have to amend my statement regarding 65-66 material. There's actually very little of it -- I saw some stuff dated late in 1964 and assumed it was for the 1965 model year -- but it was just revisions to the 1964 program. I think I got most of it from Dan Webber many years ago, and he got it from a dealer that quit Studebaker after 1964.

Anyway, you can have the whole thing for the postage, but I will want to keep a few price lists from it. The only things in the whole book that are of interest to me are the lists of extra equipment available for police cars (which may be what you want, too). If that is what you are most interested in too, I can make copies of it for you. A warning -- most of the other contents relate to procedures and special promotions -- material that is not of great historical importance.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
          X