Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BE ON THE LOOKOUT RESTORED 1937 COUPE EXPRESS CHASSIS STOLEN (So. Calif)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BE ON THE LOOKOUT RESTORED 1937 COUPE EXPRESS CHASSIS STOLEN (So. Calif)

BEE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR STOLEN STUDEBAKER RESTORED CHASSIS!! I just received a telephone call followed by an email re the theft of a completely restored 1937 Coupe Express chassis. Very possible the thieves do not know what they have since most likely they were after the tow vehicle. See specifics below. 

Per our telephone discussion, my 1937 Studebaker J5 Coupe Express Complete Chassis was stolen on Thursday, October 28th, 2021. The theft occurred in North Hollywood, California when the 26’ Covered Cargo Box Truck that these items were to be transported in was Stolen with my contents.

The truck Chassis consists of the Truck Frame, Complete Engine, Radiator, Transmission, Overdrive Unit, Drive Shaft, Rear-End, Front and Rear Suspension, Clutch Assembly, Brakes at all four Corners, correct Artillery Wheels and Tires at all four Corners, Gas Line, Brake Lines, all Pedals rigged, and Ready for the Body Components to be Installed. All items above were professionally Rebuilt/Overhauled in Show-Quality Condition, Installed, Rigged, and Ready-to-Run. All Parts are Original and Numbers-Matching. More than three (3) years of work went into the Chassis.

Additionally, my all-original 1942 T3 Bantam WWII 1/4 Ton Military Tow-Behind Jeep Trailer was also stolen.

Anyone who is able to assist me in the safe return of these items will be entitled to a substantial cash reward.

Very Respectfully,
    Gary Burdorf
    gburdorf@helicoptertech.com
    (310) 600-6477
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

That is terrible Richard.

I guess Gary did not provide any info on the Brand/Type of Box Truck to watch for, or Color and markings like Ryder, U-Haul etc.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Information on the tow vehicle would be most important in locating the thief. Most likely, the contents will just be dumped. You need to get to the thief in order to find out what happened to the contents.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sad thing to happen to a good guy, or any stude restorer.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very sorry to hear of this loss. Yes, good chance of it being cut up for scrap if not found.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

check the iron and metal scrap yards. It may be getting ready to go to china.
            There was a guy here a few years back stealing sailboats to get the trailers and then scrapping the trailers.
            He was destroying $10k boats for $250 profit. Prison was too good for this guy when they caught him.
            The way he got caught was that someone happened to check a yard and lo and behold one of the trailers was still there.

Comment

Sent this to my bother who lives in that area.

Comment

FOUND! https://forums.aaca.org/topic/370524...omment-2299422

Thankfully not damaged or wrecked.

Craig

Comment

Great news indeed. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great news for a seldom seen outcome. You must be saying your prayers correctly.
                    Congrats,
                    Bill

Comment

That's great news! So glad to hear this!

Comment

Pretty cool that you got it back, and lucky that they didn't mess it up. Not just for the dollar value, but for the scarcity of the parts and the three years of work. Very good news.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Glad to hear the chassis was recovered. Hope the Bantam Jeep trailer was also found.

Bill

Comment

Woo hoooo!
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by billslark View Post
                              Glad to hear the chassis was recovered. Hope the Bantam Jeep trailer was also found.

Bill
                              It says that the trailer was also found .

It's nice to hear of a good outcome... as so many of these things are a sad ending.
                              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X