Wheel covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel covers

My 63 Avanti has a wheel cover with two valve stem holes. Someone told me there was an article in Turning Wheels years
    ago about that. Anyone remember why there are two holes?

Wow. Never heard that one before. Interested to hear what's up with it.

Comment

Has someone drilled an extra hole to somehow attach the cover to the rim to keep the cover from rotating? Or, to attach it securely for racing? There was never an extra hole in those wheel covers from the factory. I have watched Avantis since 1962, have owned several, and have never seen an extra hole in the stock wheel covers.
      -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        Has someone drilled an extra hole to somehow attach the cover to the rim to keep the cover from rotating? Or, to attach it securely for racing? There was never an extra hole in those wheel covers from the factory. I have watched Avantis since 1962, have owned several, and have never seen an extra hole in the stock wheel covers.
        -Dwight
        DITTO to Dwight or possibly a miss-strike by the factory.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OR: Have y'all noticed that when a tire goes flat that it's only the bottom that's flat? Having two stems would allow one to pump up just the bottom! Kind of an air conservation thing.
          -Dwight

Comment

• Ron Dame
            Ron Dame commented
            Editing a comment
            Well you know, Studebaker was always ahead of their time!

• showbizkid
            showbizkid commented
            Editing a comment
            ROFL! Are you sure you're not channeling Lark Parker?

-Dwight
          Dwight you are showing your age!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Dwight you are showing your age!
            Yep. In 1962 I went to both of the local dealers to get a ride in one of the earliest Avantis that Studebaker Corp. was hauling around the country to introduce the car. Turquoise R2, glass packs.
            -Dwight

Comment

I thought a second about this, and the Fact that Studebaker DID use "Captive Air" Goodyear Tires with an "Inner Spare" on all Wagons with 3rd. Seats.

But of course they did not require a second Valve Stem, because a Basketball Needle was used in the small self sealing hole in the Tire Sidewall, as well as; it would have had to be definitely, an Extra Special Order on an Avanti.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep. In 1962 I went to both of the local dealers to get a ride in one of the earliest Avantis that Studebaker Corp. was hauling around the country to introduce the car. Turquoise R2, glass packs.
                -Dwight
                Did that cause any arousement or visceral response??

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Did that cause any arousement or visceral response??
                  I probably lost some of my hearing those two days.
                  -Dwight

Comment

I probably lost some of my hearing those two days.
                    -Dwight
                    I find that hard to fathom. My R1 with open pipes coming of the R3 headers and exiting under the front fenders is surprisingly quiet. It's actually legal here, at just under 85DB at 2500 rpm(no load). I can even still listen to the 1962 radio while on the freeway with them open. Heck most these _____s these days have stereos booming twice that loud or more!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1918278

Comment

The more power an engine makes the louder its exhaust sound (at least that's my understanding). I once rode in an R3-powered Avanti with straight-through mufflers and it was louder than heck. My hearing loss (& tinnitus) was more likely caused by shooting M1's in the USAF without hearing protection.
                      -Dwight

Comment

The more power an engine makes the louder its exhaust sound (at least that's my understanding). I once rode in an R3-powered Avanti with straight-through mufflers and it was louder than heck. My hearing loss (& tinnitus) was more likely caused by shooting M1's in the USAF without hearing protection.
                        -Dwight
                        Mine is from working in machine shops for several decades. Gettin old sucks eh Dwight?

Comment

-Dwight
                          Dwight, figure working on flight of air craft carrier for 4 years and no ear protection, in 08 VA said that it was not the problem when i went in for hearing aids 3 years ago I went back and this time got them, in 08 they cost me $4500. I have owned many many Studebaker's and most were loud but nothing like my 2010 Chrysler 300 H with SRT8 6.1 425HP.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Whatever happened to "Wheel Covers" ??? ... I guess they all Flew off!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X