Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Yep ofcourse I know about SAAB, had a bunch of bullmose ones, well balanced cars & great fun on gravel roads at high speed! I had a 99 too for a short while but in my opinion most european car brands went less good in the late 60's, I could write a book of my bullheaded ideas about that...

I'm not fanatic about V8's but I've experianced that no matter if it's an in-line or v-shaped engine; more torque equals less fuel but in the case of Studebaker the differences aint as big as for most other brands.

Leave a comment:

• Chazmon
    replied
    Thanks again for the welcome and a lot more info then I expected.

Rockne10, I did sign up for this site and am a member mainly to be on the forum to learn more about the car I am looking to find. I would be interested in a car like "Desiree" if I could be so lucky to find one. I am currently finishing up a long project car (72 Super beetle) that I have been restoring for the last couple years. It will be finished in a month or so and then I will just sell it off since its certainly not something I would want as a daily driver. I would want to wait to buy a Studebaker until the VW is gone but if the right deal came along I could buy anytime.

Brucestude, I don't think Keizer Radiator is in Keizer now days. I have lived here for just over 20 years and don't recall ever seeing it. Its interesting that your Lark has a local history attached to it though. Its a wonder how cars can migrate.

Noxnabaker, I am a believer in 6cyl engines and even 4 cyls. You being from Sweden, maybe you know about Saabs? They were my gig for several years and still have one for my driver car. Some of those 4 cyl engines put out 230hp and can go up a lot more with some simple mods.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Charles,
    Since your post title is "New to SDC", have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club? Or just begin participating in the Forum?

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    Hey Chazmon- welcome To the SDC; there’s a wealth of knowledge in the club, and on this forum! Incidentally my ‘60;Lark, which was sold new in Salem, has a repair tag on the original radiator that says “Keizer radiator, Keizer, OR!

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    A bigger engine is usually a stronger engine & do it don't have to work as hard as a smaller engine in the same size-&-weight car.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    My experience with the '53, as well as the '51, 232 V-8 and automatic transmission also gave me 23 mpg.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied

Welcome!

I am way down on actual information compared to many of the guys here....some of whom cold go to the hardware and pick out the screw you need to do a specific job without even looking it up!

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    replied
    Does the 54 also have a stronger frame? The Studebaker 'name game' thing is absurd! I have it figured out for my year with the Hawks (56). Mine is a Power Hawk which would be a Commander but they dropped that name in 56 for the Hawks, tho used it on the sedans I think.
    Rafe

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    The -54 has teeth in the grille, chrome strips on tail lights & different dashboard as the most obvious differences.

Leave a comment:

• Chazmon
    replied
    Thanks for the info about the difference of the models. So my 50 was a Starlight not a Starliner ha ha! I can only blame it on being about 58 years ago. Oh and that sounds real familiar that it was also a Champion with that super 6 cyl engine that got 20 plus mpg. So now I know that the ultimate find for me would be a 53 Starlight Champion. I could deviate from that as a V8 would be acceptable and possibly with an automatic as well. The automatics in those cars have a lock up torque converter don't they? Also from what I observed from photos I have seen that the 54 looks just like the 53 or did I miss something?

Leave a comment:

• Silverplate
    replied
    A huge welcome to the SDC…Mike

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Welcome, Charles !
    As Brent indicated, the Starlight was the coupe, and the Starliner the hardtop. And there were no Starliner hardtops until 1952; so your '50 was a Starlight.
    Adding confusion to that, prior to the '50 models, they were only called 5-passenger coupes, not Starlights.
    And then, ... bear with me, ...they stopped using either designations for the '55 model year; and then came out with a hardtop based on the 2-door President sedan bodies in 1958, and labeled it a Starlight! I guess at that point Ford had usurped the Starliner designation.

I bought my '53 Commander Starlight in 1976 as a daily driver, and used it as such for more than a decade, whence it got stored when I was assigned a company car.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Welcome to the club! Starliner is a 2-door hardtop, Starlight is a 2-door coupe, and either of these can be a Commander or a Champion as the Commander name equates to a V8 and a Champion equates to a 6-cylinder.

Leave a comment:

• Chazmon
    started a topic New to SDC.

New to SDC.

Hi everyone, happy to finally get on board here. I am not currently a Studebaker owner but have been looking for a while. My first car was a 1950 Starliner. Loved that car and have all good memories associated with it. Today I am hoping to find a 1953 coupe (not a hardtop model). Hopefully one that is in fair to good condition, but no "restored" or showroom cars. Would prefer an original 6 cyl with a stick overdrive. I want it to be a daily driver so I wouldn't have a heart attack if it got a door ding in a parking lot. Also I am a retired mechanic so engine or other mechanical problems are no problem. So this brings me to the first question to everyone on here, what is the difference between a Starliner and a Commander and/or other models? Chazmon
Working...
X