New to SDC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SDC.

Hi everyone, happy to finally get on board here. I am not currently a Studebaker owner but have been looking for a while. My first car was a 1950 Starliner. Loved that car and have all good memories associated with it. Today I am hoping to find a 1953 coupe (not a hardtop model). Hopefully one that is in fair to good condition, but no "restored" or showroom cars. Would prefer an original 6 cyl with a stick overdrive. I want it to be a daily driver so I wouldn't have a heart attack if it got a door ding in a parking lot. Also I am a retired mechanic so engine or other mechanical problems are no problem. So this brings me to the first question to everyone on here, what is the difference between a Starliner and a Commander and/or other models? Chazmon

Welcome to the club! Starliner is a 2-door hardtop, Starlight is a 2-door coupe, and either of these can be a Commander or a Champion as the Commander name equates to a V8 and a Champion equates to a 6-cylinder.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Welcome, Charles !
      As Brent indicated, the Starlight was the coupe, and the Starliner the hardtop. And there were no Starliner hardtops until 1952; so your '50 was a Starlight.
      Adding confusion to that, prior to the '50 models, they were only called 5-passenger coupes, not Starlights.
      And then, ... bear with me, ...they stopped using either designations for the '55 model year; and then came out with a hardtop based on the 2-door President sedan bodies in 1958, and labeled it a Starlight! I guess at that point Ford had usurped the Starliner designation.

I bought my '53 Commander Starlight in 1976 as a daily driver, and used it as such for more than a decade, whence it got stored when I was assigned a company car.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

A huge welcome to the SDC…Mike
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Thanks for the info about the difference of the models. So my 50 was a Starlight not a Starliner ha ha! I can only blame it on being about 58 years ago. Oh and that sounds real familiar that it was also a Champion with that super 6 cyl engine that got 20 plus mpg. So now I know that the ultimate find for me would be a 53 Starlight Champion. I could deviate from that as a V8 would be acceptable and possibly with an automatic as well. The automatics in those cars have a lock up torque converter don't they? Also from what I observed from photos I have seen that the 54 looks just like the 53 or did I miss something?

Comment

The -54 has teeth in the grille, chrome strips on tail lights & different dashboard as the most obvious differences.

Comment

Does the 54 also have a stronger frame? The Studebaker 'name game' thing is absurd! I have it figured out for my year with the Hawks (56). Mine is a Power Hawk which would be a Commander but they dropped that name in 56 for the Hawks, tho used it on the sedans I think.
              Rafe

Comment

Welcome!

I am way down on actual information compared to many of the guys here....some of whom cold go to the hardware and pick out the screw you need to do a specific job without even looking it up!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

My experience with the '53, as well as the '51, 232 V-8 and automatic transmission also gave me 23 mpg.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

A bigger engine is usually a stronger engine & do it don't have to work as hard as a smaller engine in the same size-&-weight car.

Comment

Hey Chazmon- welcome To the SDC; there’s a wealth of knowledge in the club, and on this forum! Incidentally my ‘60;Lark, which was sold new in Salem, has a repair tag on the original radiator that says “Keizer radiator, Keizer, OR!

Comment

Charles,
                        Since your post title is "New to SDC", have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club? Or just begin participating in the Forum?

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks again for the welcome and a lot more info then I expected.

Rockne10, I did sign up for this site and am a member mainly to be on the forum to learn more about the car I am looking to find. I would be interested in a car like "Desiree" if I could be so lucky to find one. I am currently finishing up a long project car (72 Super beetle) that I have been restoring for the last couple years. It will be finished in a month or so and then I will just sell it off since its certainly not something I would want as a daily driver. I would want to wait to buy a Studebaker until the VW is gone but if the right deal came along I could buy anytime.

Brucestude, I don't think Keizer Radiator is in Keizer now days. I have lived here for just over 20 years and don't recall ever seeing it. Its interesting that your Lark has a local history attached to it though. Its a wonder how cars can migrate.

Noxnabaker, I am a believer in 6cyl engines and even 4 cyls. You being from Sweden, maybe you know about Saabs? They were my gig for several years and still have one for my driver car. Some of those 4 cyl engines put out 230hp and can go up a lot more with some simple mods.

Comment

Yep ofcourse I know about SAAB, had a bunch of bullmose ones, well balanced cars & great fun on gravel roads at high speed! I had a 99 too for a short while but in my opinion most european car brands went less good in the late 60's, I could write a book of my bullheaded ideas about that...

I'm not fanatic about V8's but I've experianced that no matter if it's an in-line or v-shaped engine; more torque equals less fuel but in the case of Studebaker the differences aint as big as for most other brands.

Comment

Working...
                            X