Drag Race Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Congrats Richard as you sure have your car well dialed in! I love the launches!
    Have you run it as a gasser for the full 1/4 mile?
    Cheers,
    Bill
    Yes, but not this year. It runs a little slower in the 1/4 as a gasser but still in the low 11's. I think aerodynamics are hurting me along with the Wilwood four piston disc brakes are slowing me down. The brakes drag badly and that shows in the 60' foot. The suspension changes I made should help the aerodynamics some.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I would like to see or read about anyone with a Studebaker and the experience's you have at the drag strip like Bill.
      Richard

From the side.

https://youtu.be/bbclQ3JwuAI
      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post

Yes, but not this year. It runs a little slower in the 1/4 as a gasser but still in the low 11's. I think aerodynamics are hurting me along with the Wilwood four piston disc brakes are slowing me down. The brakes drag badly and that shows in the 60' foot. The suspension changes I made should help the aerodynamics some.
        Hope all is well with you.
        Richard
        Why are the front disk brakes dragging? You aren't running a residual valve are you? Totally unnecessary!

Comment

I don't know. I'm not running a residual valve, but it acts like it is. I can feel them drag in the pits as I drive around and free up, but never all the way. I need to fix them some how, they slow me considerably.
          Richard

Comment

I can certainly relate to dragging brakes.
            Back in the early 90's a local NHRA certified track (4 hour drive) had a 1969 and older racing weekend. My pals convinced me to get my '63 GT Hawk out of it's 20+ year storage and drive it for the weekend. It has a well built R-4 Dual Quad Clone which revels in RPM.
            An oil and spark plug change was it's only preparation.
            A slight problem was the rear brakes had stuck on and I had to drag at least one rear wheel to the starting line.
            I was paired with a HiPo 289 Fairlane which at the 1/8 mile was clearly in view through my windshield.
            The old girl found it's fantastic upper power range and surged past the Ford for a win at 14.6ET and 94 MPH.
            Apparently the announcer accused me of sandbagging. Lots of head work and 12.5 to 1 compression got the job done. Each jet change on the front carb only gained me a tenth of a second.
            I am in the throws of building a pump gas 308 CID Jack V motor to make it street-able again along with a Jeff R custom spread bore intake manifold with a 650 CFM Holley Double Pumper.
            I will keep you all posted.
            Cheers,
            Bill

Comment

Richard , as we have discussed via phone , I have the same brake set up that you do , don't I ? The aluminum hub Wilwood Dyna lite .
              I am using a 1967 Camaro Drum / Drum master cylinder . What is yours ? ( I may change to a Camaro Disc / drum , just haven't yet..... )
              Maybe your M/S has a residual valve in it ?? Does the pedal totally release any pressure ? Might be right on the edge , and vibration putting
              a little line pressure in ??
              I have never felt any drag on mine , near as I can tell , and the wheel turns free when jacked up .
              Some trapped air could also be the culprit , bad flexible hoses , etc etc . I know that you know all of these things , but........sometimes.....

Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Thanks Bill. It's slowing down, my 60'. I have a gasser race coming up and would like to be consistent. It's an index race so I need to hit right on a quarter second index.
                It really surprised me Sunday on the last pass I had a bad 60' just under 1,6, but it still ran a 7.23. That's a great number with that slow 60'. It was a hot day.
                I'll check everything again.
                Richard

Comment

Richard,
                  What you are accomplishing is truly amazing.
                  I am very proud of you taking such a different approach
                  I too think "out of the box".
                  I am looking forward to getting my Jack V 308 making some serious power.
                  There is so much technology that we now have available (short skirt full floating wrist pins, pistons, low drag rings, ultra slick oil (OW40?????) we have to keep perpetuating the venerable Studebaker V8.
                  Oh yes,
                  How is your right arm doing shifting like that?
                  Bill

Comment

Bill, I hope you can get that car done soon. We learn from each other.
                    Rafe said, "I would be very interested to hear about other's experiences at the drag strip, especially with Studebaker engines." and I agree, I hope to hear your story as it progresses.
                    Bill H and I communicate back and forth some, he's always willing to offer his experiences with the things he tried.
                    Pulling those gears and pushing that clutch at just the right RPM makes you think your doing something.
                    Richard

Comment

I agree as it keeps the grey matter functioning instead of sitting around waiting for your next tee time!
                      Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X