X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick LeRoux View Post
    I also wondered why SDC and AOAI held different events, different locations. Aren't we here to enjoy the cars and each other's company? Strength in numbers, more visitors , more vendors, more stories. As for what someone pays for something- who cares?
    I also wondered why SDC and AOAI held different events, different locations. Aren't we here to enjoy the cars and each other's company? Strength in numbers, more visitors , more vendors, more stories. As for what someone pays for something- who cares?

I saw this play out at the 2018 International in Tacoma. It was a real eye-opener. The numbers in each group is declining and if each group insists on its own purity, then they very well may have to face the fact of putting on an event that fewer and fewer people will attend.
    I have always felt that our strength was in our numbers. As the oldtimers became less active in the ASC I felt that getting some SDC membership interested and informed about pre-war cars held some hope for the future. When the meet was shortened it really left no time for all the activities that the AOAI, SDC and ASC wanted to do, and still mingle with members of the other clubs. I think that the ASC has chosen to make their meet a bit longer then the SDC meet, but I didn't see many SDC member showing up early in Tacoma to get acquainted. Unfortunately I don't see a great deal of energy for the return of the longer meet.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Belatedly, thanks to Joe and Nancy Bacon and the Indy Chapter for a wonderful international meet.

Jane Stinson's explanation in post no. 31 above, is the best I've seen explaining the registration fee/process.

Look around to other large car club events and see what costs to attend are.

For me, once a year, to pay $50 for an entire family is well-worth it.

As long as I've been going to IM's (thirty years or so), there has been a general registration fee. I think it hadn't been enforced strictly on-site until the past few years. I have no problem with that. As usual, people try to wing it and get by on registrations paid by the other attendees, sigh.
    BINGO! I couldn't agree more. Thanks, Bill. BP

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I hope that my previous comments didn't offend anyone - Joe and Nancy and the rest of the Indy volunteers did a wonderful job, and we all had a great time at the show. It was GREAT to get out, go on a road trip, and do all of this stuff again.

I think there's room for improvement on the "upper" level. I know that the Indy chapter (or any other host chapter) isn't responsible for the problems that arose - they were simply following SDC's International Meet rule book.

Looking forward to South Bend next year - though we'll focus more on having fun and taking a few cars vs. setting up a large display of parts to sell.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Belatedly, thanks to Joe and Nancy Bacon and the Indy Chapter for a wonderful international meet.

Jane Stinson's explanation in post no. 31 above, is the best I've seen explaining the registration fee/process.

Look around to other large car club events and see what costs to attend are.

For me, once a year, to pay $50 for an entire family is well-worth it.

As long as I've been going to IM's (thirty years or so), there has been a general registration fee. I think it hadn't been enforced strictly on-site until the past few years. I have no problem with that. As usual, people try to wing it and get by on registrations paid by the other attendees, sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Dick LeRoux
    replied

I saw this play out at the 2018 International in Tacoma. It was a real eye-opener. The numbers in each group is declining and if each group insists on its own purity, then they very well may have to face the fact of putting on an event that fewer and fewer people will attend.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    I have to say thank you again to Nancy and Joe Bacon as well as the entire INDY crew. You guys ran a very well organized meet. You also made for a cool fashion statement with the checkered flag vests! Hope to see everyone again in South Bend. I'll try to register early!
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Nice Post #34, Bill; thanks for your consideration. Much appreciated. BP

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Nobody asked me but here is personal musings prompted by this thread. I attended my first "National," as it was called then, meet in 1976, which by chance happened to be in Indianapolis. That meet was simply immense! Age wise our membership ran the gamut from young to quite elderly, and we were all still using our Studebakers as transportation. The reason that I mention all this is to highlight some of the things that have changed over the years.

As Studebaker owners we are very fortunate to have been able to maintain a large core group of members, within three clubs, who want to share our passion for our unique part of the car hobby. I reminded myself that some marque clubs are no longer viable, and have given up any thought of having a national get together. IMO there are few things more important to a club than having the opportunity for a yearly get together.

Several decades ago it was becoming obvious to me that many of the things ingrained in the International format were no longer responsive to the needs of our changing membership. On the business end it was also showing up as financially unsustainable, as a break even event. Things were going to have to change and the old ideas of business as usual model was going to have to be tweaked or the whole thing was just going to swivel up and die.

To the SDC's credit the organization heeded the warning signs and began to change in response. The clubs have changed and are continuing to change. Denny Foust and the Board of Directors have the very unenviable task of putting together a event, held in a different place and having to work with a new group of people every year. There will never be a perfect meet, but we need to give support to those folks on the national and local level who continue to give their time and energy to make it happen. My personal thanks to all!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Boy, no matter how all this shakes out, it will require understanding and a sincere willingness to compromise on the part of all parties.

I hope everyone is "up" to it...after all, there might be free refreshments in the various Hospitality Rooms, but there are still no free lunches. BP

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Well, stated, Jane; thank you for your perspectives and insight. BP

Leave a comment:

• Jane Stinson
    replied
    I don't know how or when the clubs started having meets together. I would be interested in knowing how that came about and what was promised. I have reconciled each meet since 2008 so I do know about more current meets.

From 2008, because it is all I can personally attest to, SDC assumed all the risk, did all the planning, provided all the manpower, and provided certain amenities. Both AOAI and ASC were provided with a comp room to use as a Hospitality Suite, registration space with table & and chairs, vendor space with tables & chairs for promoting their next meet, conference rooms for seminars, auction space and whatever else they needed. All was provided at no charge. These clubs planned their activities and meetings knowing that they were not responsible for providing these spaces.

ASC and AOAI members were expected to register with SDC in order to help pay their share for the meet. Nothing more was required. The reason that both clubs became disenchanted at the same time is because of SDC's use of a gate to control access. Way too many attendees were not registering and the meets were harder and harder to plan because the folks who were paying their way were also having to pay the way for all those who chose not to register. The meets were losing money and the members who always paid were constantly asked to pay more.

The first year there was a gate, there were suddenly at least 100 more registrations. This increase was a mix of all three clubs' members that had been riding for free. There is a lot of grumbling about the gate by the folks most impacted by it. They now have to register or stay home. The gate likely won't be going away because the meet is not sustainable without it. We can not in good conscience ask the members who always pay their share to pay more to allow for others to ride for free. We are actively looking for a fair way to do a day pass without encouraging members not to register if we can find one, but be aware, this will not be enough for those who believe they should not have to pay at all.

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    I don’t feel there was an attempt to avoid registering for the meet. Several just wanted to pay a fee to attend the swap meet but not participate in any of the other events s. It would not have cost the meet committee anything but given them some income and make the vendors happy. I paid my $60 just to see the swap meet and see old friends.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I think there may be more to the story of ASC and AOAI suddenly, simultaneously, having their meets away from SDC meets.

Up until recently, I had an incorrect understanding of how the ASC and AOAI national meets were tied in with SDC’s. I was promptly corrected.

One of the ASC higher-ups told me that, years ago, the SDC invited both other clubs to have their national meets in conjunction with SDC’s. My understanding is that this was an attempt to keep all of the clubs “together” and have more Studebakers in attendance at the SDC international meet.

When the SDC decided to revoke the invitation and change the rules, that is when both ASC and AOAI decided to host their own national meets at separate locations.

The result? A whole lot of drama and an increasing divide between the 3 clubs.

There aren’t a lot of Studebaker enthusiasts around, relatively. The powers that be need to stop hammering on the stake that’s driving everyone apart. It seems that money has become the focal point of SDC national meets, and Studebaker owners and their cars, an afterthought.

Everyone needs to pay to play. But there has to be a “friendlier” way of handling it.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    I drove a 61 Champ with a trailer, loaded with stuff, 700 miles each way to attend the meet. I was able to see friends that I had not seen in a long while, which was wonderful. My spaces were next to some great folks that made the long days much more bearable. I literally gave stuff away, knowing that I would never use them and sold parts way too cheap. I made enough to pay for my fuel and expenses, which was my goal. I forgot a lot of parts that i wanted to bring. I'll chalk that up to getting older and having a case of CRS.
    Everyone was helpful and friendly. I also agree that the gate admittance was expensive and I was hoping for a larger number of attendees. I did have some things for sale that some brand X guys and girls may have wanted, but we had to load up Saturday morning for the nearly twelve hour drive home. All things considered, we had a great time. Will attend another International meet? Of course. Will I choose to vend at another meet? Maybe, depending on if I can remember where all of the rest of my stuff is.
    Many thanks to all of the volunteers that worked hard to make this a successful meet.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
    As for what someone pays for something- who cares? It's their money! The fact that they found a part they wanted or needed made for a good deal on both sides of the table.
    Rob in PA.
    The banter between Matt and I about paying over the asking price was in jest. The difference in price was only $7. I blow more than that on a Subway footlong. It was all in good fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X