X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Stinson
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Unless one is a truck driver, anyone from Canada did not have the option, mask or no mask. I would have been there had I been able to drive across the border.

Craig

Craig is correct. Quite a few members from Canada were not able to attend due to covid issues. I'm not sure if it is the US blocking the way or the Canadian government requiring an expensive quarantine upon return to Canada, but either way people could not come. We missed you!!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Thank you Jane for the excellent response.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Jane Stinson View Post
    Many chose not to come because we were not planning to force anyone to wear a mask.
    Unless one is a truck driver, anyone from Canada did not have the option, mask or no mask. I would have been there had I been able to drive across the border.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Jane Stinson
    replied
    I spoke to Stephen Cade at length about the gate. I gave him my personal assurance that I would think seriously about his concerns and try to come up with a solution that everyone can live with. This typically means that no one is going to get 100% of what they want but we will endeavor to be as fair as possible. SDC cannot run the meet without the registration funds. If you register early, the price is $40 for a family for a week. That is extremely reasonable.

The problem comes when someone wants to attend the meet on their terms, at the last minute. A $5 or $10 gate during the week is not a feasible solution. It discourages registration altogether. If SDC can't at least break even on our meets and offer the host chapter an opportunity to make a profit, we won't have any chapter who will take the risk.

ASC and AOAI have decided to have their own meet in a different location because they believe it is more lucrative for them. It may be but the members of SDC should not be required to "make up" those registration funds that would be lost so that ASC and AOAI can enter free. Neither club pays any of the cost of the venue that the registration funds support.

This meet had a lot of issues to manage. There were advocates of requiring members to show proof of covid vaccination to enter buildings. This is not legal in Indiana. Others wanted everyone to wear a mask indoors. Many chose not to come because we were not planning to force anyone to wear a mask. Our members are by and large in an age group that have been vaccinated at an average rate of 93%. If we kept the meet to only our members during the week while the buildings were open, we were all free to breathe a little easier. The Indy Chapter did a fabulous job and I, for one, am grateful.

There are a lot of issues to ponder and it will take some time to craft a resolution that will be fair to everyone. We would like to be supportive of the vendors and after a career as a managerial accountant, I do understand their concerns. As the SDC Treasurer, I will be crunching some numbers and weighing options on their financial merit. As the International Meet Chair, I will be trying to weigh the interests of all the different groups as well as the SDC membership. When a proposal goes to the SDC BOD, it needs to be thoroughly vetted.

Please try to be patient. This issue has a lot of stakeholders to consider.

Jane

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Times are not normal. a closed event during an international medical pandemic just makes sense. I did not attend because of previous commitments. However, If I were to pay the larger fee, I would expect it to be all encompasing. It should include entrance to all events, and the meal ticket for the banquet, It should include an ice cream social, bus trips to all the tours, and entrance fees for any museums. It should include the meet booklet, a grab bag hospitality gift pack. And a discount on the first purchase of a meet T shirt. I would pay 100 for if it was set up like that.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 09-14-2021, 07:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Why can't we all just get along? I also wondered why SDC and AOAI held different events, different locations. Aren't we here to enjoy the cars and each other's company? Strength in numbers, more visitors , more vendors, more stories. As for what someone pays for something- who cares? It's their money! The fact that they found a part they wanted or needed made for a good deal on both sides of the table. I try to guide folks to the good people in the club who not only sell parts but educate customers with their rebuild as well . Let's all try to remove the politics and check the egos and remember the real reasons we have meets . I know I had a great time especially meeting folks from the Forum, getting rid of some parts, finding some good stuff , judging cars and meeting a lot of new friends!
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• J_Cole
    replied
    When did this change? I am planning on coming next year to South Bend's show with S2D but am not sure I want to pay $60 just to get in the door... I remember going as a kid and early adult in the early to mid 2000's and to the 2007 International event but don't remember paying an entry fee and definitely wasn't a member then.

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    The AOAI board was not happy when the letter came out that this was a closed event and AOAI & ASC we’re not welcome unless they registered with Cornerstone. There were several members at the AOAI meet that belong to both clubs but were not willing to pay a second registration. Personally I was registered for AOAI meet but have belonged to SDC for 50 years and wanted to see my friends. I held off registering earlier as some health issues required attention. I paid $60 just to get in. Just not a good situation. Yes a full registration for AOAI was $115 but that included food and other benefits. Any SDC or ASC members were welcome to attend the car show at no cost. The vendors definitely lost some revenue.
    Denny Lockmon. AOAI/SDC Liaison.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    You two are rubbing off on each other.
    Over this? Cab Over filter? - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Matt had the relic in his possession for about one minute when he placed it on the table. Less than 30 seconds later, a man stopped in his tracks and was drawn to the possibly last known piece of Kohlrabi. Coincidence? I do not dismiss the powerful nature and spirit of Kohlrabi.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 09-13-2021, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Son O Lark offered to sell me the elusive Kohlrabi air cleaner for $3.00. I felt it was worth at least $10.00
    You two are rubbing off on each other.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied

How does that happen??
    Son O Lark offered to sell me the elusive Kohlrabi air cleaner for $3.00. I felt it was worth at least $10.00

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    …or as a friend of mine has been known to say, “I looked for depth and saw the bottom.”

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    He undoubtedly has a deep pockets.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied

How does that happen??
    The man purchased the air cleaner of the legendary Kohlrabi (a 1937 cabover). It's power over the mind is immense. Even the strongest willed of Studebaker owners can fall victim. He was compelled to pay 333% of the asking price. The new owner now wields the power of Kohlrabi. He will use it wisely.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 09-13-2021, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X