Packard Hawk Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Registry

I would like to compile a registry of surviving Packard Hawks. If any Packard Hawk owners would like to give me a name, state and production number of your Packard Hawk, I would really appreciate it. Or just state and production number if you’d rather not share your name. Thanks in advance.
    don

This has been done at least two times in the past. It would be good if you could get hold of the information from at least one of these rosters.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah, but the last time was about 20 years ago. People were old back then. I don't think any have gotten younger. Cars change owners and locations. Our Packard hawk was sold in 1990. 31 years ago.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The last one I knew of was done by Mike Williams. He has since passed and I don’t know what happened to the information. If someone is aware of where I could find it that would be a great start.
        don

Comment

Originally posted by GTHawk View Post
          The last one I knew of was done by Mike Williams. He has since passed and I don’t know what happened to the information. If someone is aware of where I could find it that would be a great start.
          I believe that Jerry Bowden did the first one, but he has also passed. It seems like some owner of a Packard Hawk must have the information from at least one of these.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I thought Lafayette L. Keaton was one of the first roster keepers?
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I thought Lafayette L. Keaton was one of the first roster keepers?
              I do not know that individual or when he did a roster. I believe that Jerry Bowden started his roster about 1971.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Sady this is not the first time that a specialty roster has disappeared. It highlights why that the information should not be in one person's' hands or for his purview. Everyone who has provided information, or who owns a vehicle that is included within, should have regular access to the roster. Whether it's publication is paid for, or gratuitous, it needs to be a regular part of the process. IMHO the failure of the proveyer to provide access to the information is a dereliction of his implied or expressed intent when he volunteered for the position. If the information was made public it would also provide multiple sources of backup for critical historical information.

I'm not criticizing anyone who has developed or continued a roster, but this is public information and there needs to be some rules for it's oversight. As far as I can tell there have never been any guidelines for developing, maintaining, regular disbursement or information, or a plan for the inevitable transfer of the roster.
                Last edited by Hallabutt; 09-15-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I can understand why the roster information should be kept in a safe place, so that it does not have to be recreated every time.

I can also understand why some persons may not want their private information to be public.

I am sure it is a fairly big job to keep a roster up to date.

Comment

In the past, it was the general rule for everyone that inputted to a roster to receive a copy of the roster. That is why I thought that there would be copies of previous rosters around to use as a starting point for making contacts.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That's the problem Gary, there just has never been any copies of any of the rosters to which I have contributed.

Paul when an owners information was contributed to the purveyor of the roster, it is understood that that information was public domain. If a car changed hands the new owner has the right to not have his information included as part of an updated roster.
                      Last edited by Hallabutt; 09-15-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I see that there are several registries on the SDC site. I am hoping to put it on there once I compile some information. Right now I only have ours and one other to put in so I need to receive more input. Thanks.
                        don

Comment

Hope this helps get things started; I no longer own the car (or have any idea of it's whereabouts) but a long time ago I owned Packard Hawk serial number 58LS1019. At that time it had been painted a non factory color (Ford Castilian Gold). This car was factory equipped with a 3 speed T85 and overdrive. I believe the car was originally Parade Red. I purchased it in the Chicago, IL area and later (September 1964) drove it to Los Angeles where I eventually (around 1966) sold it. Please include this info in a registry and if the car is located, I'd be interested in contacting the current owner.
                          Thanks Howard
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Jerry Bowden in NY owned one that we restored twice - once in the original color (beige) and then in maroon. It won First and Senior First. The last that I knew, Ernie Spicer of NJ (perhaps now NY) owned it.
                            Makes me think of 1961 when I was offered a one owner Packard Hawk for $375.
                            I do not have Serial Numbers for either of these cars or any other Packard Hawks.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi Don, I've got a copy of a 2005 registry from Mike. it's too large to attach here, I'll send you a copy to the email you've posted in the sdc registry page.

After Mike let the packardhawk.com domain go a while back, I got it after a re-seller held it for a few years. Have plans to put up a new site, but obviously haven't gotten to it yet. Now that I've retired, have added that to my to-do list for the winter, but if you or anyone else have the burning desire to do that faster, I'd be open to transferring the site over.

Saw your beautiful Jewel Beige PH in Indy last week ( saw it the first time at the Glendale meet).

I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration on #1326 - just retired, so hoping to get it finished up after a few years of very slow progress

Jeff
                              1951 Custom
                              1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                              1962 Champ
                              1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                              1963 Avanti R1
                              1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                              2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X