auto transport costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto transport costs

It gets so old, even when you only want a range or WAG of cost to ship, you have to jump through so many hoops and then get bombarded with emails wanting your business. I am usually deciding if a car's price makes sense to me after shipping costs.
    Is there some decent way to get a guestimate of shipping without the hassle of contacting shippers?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I know a number of folks on the Ram forums buy their new trucks out of state and ship them home. General "rule-of-thumb" is one dollar a mile in an open trailer, as a start.

Bob

Comment

Shipping is the biggest bargain in the car world. It's been $1/mile for decades. The problem is with the quality of shipper available. The big shippers with their multi car carriers have pushed out most of the smaller shippers. Reliability has been replace by a world fraught with uncertainty, but it's cheap. Penny pinchers have brought it upon themselves.

Comment

Get plenty of insurance.

Comment

I am shipping my latest car from the owner that recommended the shipper. His price was in line with others but a personal recommendation means much to me. As far as all the emails and text, I put the emails in spam and text back stop.

Bob Miles
          Flight of fancy on it's way

Comment

The cost of shipping anything has risen to the point of being a deal breaker in many cases regardless of what you are buying. My last car shipping company was based on a personal recommendation and the service was good although pricey. As a seller I would be willing to adjust my price to the seller in an effort to share some of the shipping cost if it would seal the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              Shipping is the biggest bargain in the car world. It's been $1/mile for decades.
              Originally posted by E.Davis
              The cost of shipping anything has risen to the point of being a deal breaker in many cases regardless of what you are buying.
              I have to go with Hallabutt on this one. I've only been shipping cars for 20 years but $1 a loaded mile has always been a pretty good estimate for open transport.

Click image for larger version

Name:	open-car-carrier.jpg?width=960&name=open-car-carrier.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1905242
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I’m shipping S2D from the DC area to Chicago which is 700ish miles for this years Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals on an enclosed trailer. It’ll cost me $1,300. So about double for an enclosed versus open? When I shipped it from Florida do dc it was about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

I have to go with Hallabutt on this one. I've only been shipping cars for 20 years but $1 a loaded mile has always been a pretty good estimate for open transport.

Might be. I have never used open transport. Way too much vandalism for me to trust the driver to always stop in safe places if there are any of those anymore. Sleep a lot better knowing the car is in a closed trailer.

Comment

Thanks all. Transport will put the car I am considering out of my price range unless the seller has good flexibility in price. THAT or.... is anyone coming from northwestern Washington state to teh International Meet that could carry a car for me?
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                      Thanks all. Transport will put the car I am considering out of my price range unless the seller has good flexibility in price. THAT or.... is anyone coming from northwestern Washington state to teh International Meet that could carry a car for me?
                      I paid $1900 for an enclosed hauler to transport a ‘41 Commander from Washington to Florida this past November.

Enclosed transport for a ‘63 Lark from Texas to Florida this past June was $1200.

In this hobby… What’s a little more money for the car you want?
                      Last edited by mbstude; 07-31-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

I'll take the Chrysler !

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
                          I’m shipping S2D from the DC area to Chicago which is 700ish miles for this years Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals on an enclosed trailer. It’ll cost me $1,300. So about double for an enclosed versus open? When I shipped it from Florida do dc it was about the same.
                          BaT quotes both open and closed transport for the cars they list. It looks like open transport is about 64% of closed transport in the examples I chose. A $1300 closed transport would therefore be about a $830 open transport. It could be those charges are higher than I indicated because the load/unload time on such a short haul is not amortized over a longer line haul. It could also be that rates have gone up recently.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have hauled many cars from California to a International meet, If I sold the car and it is going that way then I charge a flat $1000 to the buyer that cover costs most of the time and then I have an empty trailer so try and find something that needs to go west for the trip home and again I charge $1000 to cover cost.
                            When I sold the 61 with the R-3 clone engine The seller and I worked out the deal that if he paid my asking price I would help with the cost of an enclosed trailer so I cut the price by $2000 we were both happy, the hauler had a perfect rig and one hell of a guy. but as I get older I might not be making as many trips.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

When using one of these carriers,ask up front if they are using sub contractors.My 'gem of the rust belt' cost me about $766 to go about 361 miles on an open trailer,which worked out to about $200/mile. Also,it arrived 2 days late. I blame myself,I didn't do a whole lot of shopping around.

Comment

Working...
                              X