GT Hawk Spotted Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Spotted Today

I spotted a black & white GT Hawk on a car trailer today. Was in my town on RT. 54. Looked very nice, anyone here know who’s car it is? Hammonton NJ
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Ok, I spotted another Studebaker on RT.54 today. It was operating on its own power, a 1962 Lark four door in beige. Had regular NJ plates not the usual QQ type plates.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

QQ = Quality Qruiser? .
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bill . a couple of years ago there was a 62 similar to the one you described for sale at used car here by the shore , Maybe the same one ? Ed

Comment

Hi Ed, It very well could be, Driver was a younger guy, younger than me but most are at this stage!
          Lark was heading north, probably heading up RT.206 as Rt. 54 becomes 206 as it crosses RT.30.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              QQ = Quality Qruiser? .
              As seen in the pic above, QQ is the prefix or suffix used to designate a historic vehicle in New Jersey. Every state has its own system. NJ has been using the (almost) same system of license plate formats and designators since the black//straw plates were introduced in 1959.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I remember helping my dad change the license plates on our 55 Champion. Took off the black/orange plates and put on the new plates. Still remember the tag from 1959, BWV-550. Our current car a Outback has the same plates I first received in 1971.
                In NJ you could possibly still use the plates from 1959 if you renewed the registration every year.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Most States just indicate "Collector Vehicle", (CV) "Horseless Carriage" (HC) etc. and let that factor divide them from Ordinary Numbers, that seems Really ODD to use Non-meaning letters! What Planet do some of these "State Officials" come from?
                  Quaint Qar ?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

NJ has several hundred different classes of vehicle license plates, most mandated by the state legislature. Many of these have unique plate prefixes/suffixes, even though only a handful are ever on the road at one time. QQ may have been the only two-letter combo available when the current plate series was created in 1959. One of the other oddities of NJ plate numbers is the letter O as the prefix (for omnibus) on all bus plates. To avoid confusion with zero, very few states use O except perhaps as the second or third letter of a prefix/suffix.

BTW, Maryland historic plates are denoted by the letter Z (but only when in the first, fifth, or sixth position in the number and without any other letters). You can't make this stuff up.
                    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 07-02-2021, 12:32 PM.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

It’s a good idea. Would you like your 26 year old Corvette wearing “ Horseless Carriage” plates?

Comment

• StudeRich
                        StudeRich commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good one, Horseless Carriage Plates are for Ancient Vehicles Only, not Post War, they get "Collector Vehicle", "Historical Vehicle" etc.
                        So much for "Dead Horses", meaning the String of course, Lol !.

There also has been movement in the NJ state legislature to bring back the blue plates for owners of 1980’s vintage
                      automobiles. NJ issueed a blue plate from 1979 to 1992.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

In PA. we can do Year of Manufacture plates ( up to I believe 1976 ). I have a 1964 New Car Dealer tag on my '64 GT in tribute to the car I built as a dealer demo in memory of my Uncle Al. I also have a YOM tag on my '64 SR wagon.
                        Rob in PA.

Comment

Been trying for years to get some traction for a YOM MV law in NJ . Extremely difficult to get the state to move on it.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                            It’s a good idea. Would you like your 26 year old Corvette wearing “ Horseless Carriage” plates?
                            Or a 1995 Kenworth W900.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X