1951 Commander coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander coupe

Hello everyone, My name is Dave and I'm a new member. I have a question regarding my Studebaker I just bought. I was wondering how rare my car is or how desirable it is. It is a 1951 Commander coupe. I dont know how to tell the different between a regular and a Starlite coupe. How can I tell? My Commander has the V-8 and the automatic transmission and original interior. It also has a radio. Any help you can give regarding my Studebaker would be appreciated.

Welcome to Studedom Dave! Pretty nice iconic choice of first Stude, too. The bulletnoses are the first cars many people think of when the name "Studebaker" is mentioned.

The 2dr steel-roof body styles for '51s came in three flavours:

*Starlight coupe; unmistakable...has the very distinctive wraparound rear window

*Business coupe; short three-window greenhouse with wide rear pillars

*2dr sedan; resembles the business coupe, but the greenhouse is longer and has five windows...the most "conventional" of the three.

Got a pic you can post either here or in the Members' Studebaker Photos section?

Cheers

Steve T

Comment

Or just tell us what the firewall tag says then we can tell you.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      1957 Golden Hawk
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anne--

Unless it's like that "what the heck year is that?" blue Lark in the other thread, eh! Then all bets would be off...

S.

Comment

Hi Steve,Thanks for your response! My car is the Starlight coupe according to your descriptions. I currantly do not have any photos of it as I live in Oregon, picked the car up on Jan 1st, and we had some pretty bad weather but that is changing and I should be able to take some photos of it soon. I purchased the car from the original owners grandson and have the titles dated back to 1955. The car has never been touched except for a repaint sometime in its past but it is the same color match as from the factory. The front seat upholterey is in great shape but mice got to the back.I think the Studebakers are really beautiful cars and I plan to drive it just as-is after going though the brakes and rebuilding the carb. Love to hear from other Starlight coupe owners or any Studebaker owners and learn as much as I can. Thanks again!
          Dave
          quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Welcome to Studedom Dave! Pretty nice iconic choice of first Stude, too. The bulletnoses are the first cars many people think of when the name "Studebaker" is mentioned.

The 2dr steel-roof body styles for '51s came in three flavours:

*Starlight coupe; unmistakable...has the very distinctive wraparound rear window

*Business coupe; short three-window greenhouse with wide rear pillars

*2dr sedan; resembles the business coupe, but the greenhouse is longer and has five windows...the most "conventional" of the three.

Got a pic you can post either here or in the Members' Studebaker Photos section?

Cheers

Steve T

Comment

Hi Mabel, Dave here. The firewall tag reads: HC3-1120.
            Love to here more!
            Thank you,
            Dave
            quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            1955 President State
            1957 Golden Hawk
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldndragon

Hi Mabel, Dave here. The firewall tag reads: HC3-1120.
              Love to here more!
              Thank you,
              Dave
              quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca
              Dave,
              BTW: Mabel is the car's name. [:I] Anne happens to use her actual name as her user name.
              If I've got the body tag correct, yes you have a Starlight Deluxe coupe. Deluxe simply being a trim level. If it were a C-5, it would be a Regal Deluxe, a little nicer. Sounds like a really nice car. Spend some time on this site and you will learn a lot! Lots of help here, too.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

A 51 commander is a great car.I have one and love it. She always draws a lot of interest. Doug M

Comment

Working...
                X