Early '53-'54 C/K Fuel Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early '53-'54 C/K Fuel Tanks

Funny how the Stude wheels turn. A fellow from Bartlesville, OK somehow tracked down Ebon (Railway) in Harlingen, TX, inquiring about a fuel tank for a '54 Coupe.

Ebon did not have one... I'm kinda surprised. Ebon referred the guy to me. Don't know what made Ebon think I would know where any were, but I had... two. Maybe, I think.

I told the fellow he could have both of them at no cost, if he would just come 'n get 'em. I also told him I wanted to inspect them first, though, to make sure they were usable, because they both had pin hole leaks, and have been stored in a shed for years. I don't want him to waste a trip for junk.

Here is what I remember, but I could be wrong... My car's fuel tank sprung a leak. (It was a Champion at birth.) A local friend had a fuel tank out of a Commander, and donated it to the cause. I removed the tank from my car, and put it in the shed. I ordered chemicals to clean up the friend's tank, and did so, vigilantly. So vigilant were my efforts, that on the last rinse, the second tank sprung a pin hole leak. I took that tank, and stacked it on top of the other one in the shed, never noticing the size difference. (They changed proximity while being moved to the wheelbarrow.)

A second (far away) friend had a newly repaired and sealed tank. I purchased that tank, and installed it in 'Sheba.

So, tonight, I inspect the tanks, and one has shrunk!?:

My memory is not so good... I thought I had two tanks, exactly alike. Upon inspection, I don't. One is bigger than the other.

Is the top one from a Champion, and the bottom one from a Commander?

If so, since I now have the larger size tank installed in 'Sheba, where it seems the smaller tank must have once been, I reckon they are interchangeable?

I called the guy back and 'splained the situation, and he is coming after the tanks tomorrow. He says he has welding skills that will cure the pinhole issue.

I have also encouraged him to join the SDC/forum. His car has an original V-8. He asked me some questions about the '54 V-8, and I told him to post his questions here... 'cause I don't know that much about 'em.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

The top tank is NOT a C/K. Sedan?

There was no difference between a Champion C/K tank and a Commander.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The top tank is NOT a C/K. Sedan?
      There was no difference between a Champion C/K tank and a Commander.
      Bet you are right, but beats me! If the smaller tank is from something else, I can't imagine where it came from, if not from under 'Sheba! But, that's normal around here. I may find the tank that actually came from 'Sheba behind the what-not shelf tomorrow, who knows?

I just hope the fellow can benefit from one, or both of these tanks! Otherwise, Ebon is in a heap of trouble.

sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

That bottom tank looks like the piece of a tank I pulled out of the Parkview.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

The mid 50s sedans had a vertical spare tire hole, the tank is somewhat narrower than the CK tank. There is no difference between CK Champions and Commanders. Hope this 'splains your situation.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I just went down in the basement for a quick measure of a '57 hawk tank I have down there....

It about 31-1/2" wide from the outside edges of the seams, 29" long, and 6" deep through the thickest part.

I'd bought it originally to use in my '53. Had it stored for years and when I went to clean it up found a massive mouse nest inside that rotted about 1/4 of the bottom out

I later got a NOS lark wagon tank from sasco and have that in the '53 now. Those are a few inches shorter than the C/K tank but will fit with redrilling a hanger hole and tweaking the angle of the filler neck.

That top tank doesn't look like a C/K tank, too tall IMO.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Yes, I'm always in trouble, just ask my wife!
              I too, told him to join The SDC, and he said he would.
              I found I have a tank for a 59 Hawk.

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

quote:I found I have a tank for a 59 Hawk.
                Which size is it? [}][}]

sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Just a guess here, but the larger one is for C/K the shorter is for sedans, Ring any bells?
                  Sedans have a wheel well to stand the tire in.

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

Working...
                  X