No announcement yet.

buying 54 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 54 I am buying has a 53 tristar horn button...is that rare?
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 06-08-2021, 01:15 PM.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I registered for the Newport hill climb this year.....Oct. 3 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        The 54 I am buying has a 53 tristar horn button...is that rare?
        If I remember correctly Studebaker did not take the tristar off the interior parts, only the exterior parts.
        -Dwight

Comment

They phased the tri-stars out over time. My 54 commander has a lazy s horn button. I’m guessing as they ran out of parts over time, they’d incorporate new logos. My Commander is an early build 54 though

Comment

There were Tri-Stars on the Ash trays, Horn Button, The Radio Block off plate, Accessory Back- Up Light Lenses, Wheel Covers, not to mention the obvious; the Front and Rear Emblems.

But by the end of 1953 Most were gone for '54.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is it delivered YET?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not yet. Ron sent the fuel pump to an expert in Florida to be rebuilt. So, maybe next week. We need a symbol for ants in the pants. (Me).

Comment

Just from curiousity I looked up the top speed for one of these. I found a couple places it states 93 mph. Stated the 4.10 rear. I am wondering how it will do with the od rear ration 4.27? Is it faster in 3rd or in od?

Comment

I'd bet a strong running 232 could do that or more in Overdrive 3rd. and even with the Stock Rear Axle Ratio of 4.54

It is one thing to wind an Engine up to 4500 to 5000 RPM to hit a High Speed, but sustaining it for Miles is not Great for the Engine.
                    I could see a 169 cid Champion being almost faster in 3rd. Direct than O.D. because they will "run out out of wind" in the Wind, or uphill, but NOT a Commander.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A good running 1983 Mercedes diesel euro with no turbo will run 100 mph in either 4 or 5 od. The turbo motor has almost identical hp and torque to a 232 Stude. 120/180. The 123 Mercedes will run about 107 or so. The Stude probably is a bit slicker but might be more frontal area. I expect the stude might break 100 in excellent tune. Don't worry I won't do more than just drive it up there and back off. I don't have many places I can really let a car out around here without risking a ticket.

Comment

The blue coupe is sitting in my driveway now. I am cooling off in the house. It was a hot trip home.

The car looks lovely in person!

I did not like the looks of the interior from the pictures but in person it looks very good. I can't wait to get everything working to top form.!

Comment

t walgamuth congrats!! Can’t wait to see more pics and glad you were able to get the car.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

t walgamoth i am going to pm you i may have what you might want on the full cover caps check your pm box .

Comment

Originally posted by dannyo View Post
                                t walgamoth i am going to pm you i may have what you might want on the full cover caps check your pm box .
                                Sorry, I already bought some nos.

I am attaching a picture from bring a trailer with a picture of my cars fraternal twin. It is mostly original. I am showing it because it is the look I am thinking of....full wheelcovers with blackwalls. I think with the blue I might paint the rims orange to honor John Weyer. Click image for larger version

Name:	1954_studebaker_commander_green.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1900531 Click image for larger version

Views:	164
ID:	1900532 Click image for larger version

Views:	161
ID:	1900533 Click image for larger version

Views:	162
ID:	1900534 Click image for larger version

Views:	160
ID:	1900535 Click image for larger version

Views:	159
ID:	1900536 Click image for larger version

Views:	158
ID:	1900537 Click image for larger version

Views:	162
ID:	1900538

Comment

Working...
                                X