buying 54 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Will the wheel covers stick better if the wheel is new?
    Not really. It may be better with the new paint, then again it might be worse with a slightly different diameter and/or angle. More is dependent on the teeth on the wheelcover.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I’m glad you finally got ahold of Ron!!! You got a great looking ride. A big congrats!!

Comment

Thanks!......
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Congratulations - beautiful car in a very appealing color!

Wheelcovers are a conundrum on these - the full covers are the best ever designed in history - enough so that one was the cover art for the famous "Ten Automobiles" exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in 1953.

The exhibit catalog has Studebaker in good company and the only color plate in the catalog:
          https://assets.moma.org/documents/mo...612.1609323148

Were it mine, I'd savor the rarity of the smaller caps and color that make this car look even more modern. The small caps do have same design elements, after all.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

It’s funny. As an 18 month old, I would give owners a hard time at the south bend swap meet if they didn’t have the original wheel covers on their 53’s. I was already in love with the design of the car and wheel covers. They look absolutely amazing on the car. Now that I have one of my own, I immediately replaced those same wheel covers with American racing rims. I’m sure there are ways to get the wheel covers to stay on, but I got tired of chasing them down whenever I drove the car.

don’t worry about what the peanut gallery thinks, do what you want with your car 😀😀😀

and if you’re interested, I’ve got 2 wheel covers that I don’t need.

Comment

Thanks, Andy R. That is the first that I have seen that catalog since the 1960s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
                It’s funny. As an 18 month old, I would give owners a hard time at the south bend swap meet if they didn’t have the original wheel covers on their 53’s. I was already in love with the design of the car and wheel covers. They look absolutely amazing on the car. Now that I have one of my own, I immediately replaced those same wheel covers with American racing rims. I’m sure there are ways to get the wheel covers to stay on, but I got tired of chasing them down whenever I drove the car.

don’t worry about what the peanut gallery thinks, do what you want with your car 😀😀😀

and if you’re interested, I’ve got 2 wheel covers that I don’t need.
                Thanks! ...but I have four nos on their way.

Comment

Glad you found a set!! They look so perfect on the car! Post pics when you get it!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

G-O-G-E-O-U-S car! I hope you have many miles of smiles with the old lady.
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Me too!

Thanks!

Comment

When you said "I like the od and column shifter too. I may have to go to the hill climb!", were you referring to the Newport Hill Climb?
                          I've been attending that event for many years and I consider it the ultimate antique car event in Indiana.
                          My first participation (in 2018) was with a '53 Packard Clipper 2 dr (straight 8 & 3 spd) & I won 3rd place in its class.
                          In 2019, I took a '55 Clipper 4 dr (V8 & Ultramatic), but sold it at a profit before I could win a trophy.
                          This year, I'm trying to convince my brother to run his '54 Champion 4dr, which is an automatic with 6 cyl, so it will compete against other pre 1955 6 cyl automatic orphan makes only (a limited field). He doesn't like to put too many miles on it tho, since it only has approx 6,000 documented miles.

Comment

Sounds like fun! I plan to attend sometime hopefully soon.

Comment

The Newport hill was first "run" in 1909 as a competition between two owners of these newfangled automobiles.
                              Since 1968, the Newport Lion Club has sponsored a run the 1st Sat in October. Participating cars are limited to 1945 and older, with an exception for orphan makes, where the year limit is raised to 1955. (OEM had to cease operations prior to 1970, so that allows Studebaker, Nash, Hudson, Rambler, DeSoto, Kaiser/Fraser, Crosley, etc but excludes Pontiac, Olds, Mercury & Plymouth)
                              All hill climb participating cars are placed into one of 31 classes, based on age, manufacturer and engine/transmission.
                              Cars participate one at a time. Scoring is total time X engine displacement. Low score wins.
                              Cars are inspected to verify no modifications from stock. If modifications (such as power brakes, 12V electrics, modified carburetion) are found, points are added to the score. Rules are: get to the top as fast as you can, any way, any gear.
                              For several years, the fastest time (not necessarily the overall winner) has been held by a 1940's Ford pickup with the flathead V8.
                              In addition to the hill climb, they have a non-judged car show and a raffle where every year they give away a car eligible to run the hill. I think this year's raffle car is a 1940's Ford Sedan.
                              What I like about this event is you get to see the old cars in action, not just parked as at a car show or museum. You get to smell the perfume of gas & oil mixed, hear the wide whites chirp on takeoff and maybe even smell some burned rubber & see a little blue smoke. (You also get to taste some good festival fare, like Tenderloin sandwiches, (root)beer in a mug, tiger ears & homemade ice cream!)

P.S. If seeing old cars in action is to your liking, check out the Automobile Driving Museum near the Los Angeles airport. A couple days a week, they bring a few cars outside and let patrons ride (not drive) around the block in them. Definitely worth the price of admission!

Comment

IMHO, the only wheel covers prettier than the '53-55 ones are the early '53 wheel covers, with the three ribs. Studebaker removed the ribs when Mercedes-Benz objected to Studebaker's tri-star design. I would wish that Studebaker had kept the ribs, but change them to five or six ribs. At SDC Int'l meets I have seen several '53-55 Studebakers that didn't come with them, so some other Stude people must prefer them too.
                                -Dwight

Comment

Working...
                                X