buying 54 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying 54 coupe

went up to near morrocco In and put a deposit on Ron's sweet 54 commander. It is not perfect but looks very nice. It was restored about 12 years ago. It is a v8 with stick and overdrive. I heard it run shortly as the fuel pump is acting up but expect to pick it up next week or so. I'll be looking for some stude wheel covers full size. Click image for larger version

Name:	53 stude coupe.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1897667
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Good for you I think you’ll have fun

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Nice looking Starlight Coupe, good score!

It really doesn't look too bad with the poverty Caps, because it fits with the Low level Deluxe C3 Trim.

But, I am sure it will look more dressed up with the Wide Whites and the MOST beautiful Wheelcovers EVER designed!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich I really like the wheel look. Another plus is that the hubcaps don't have a tendency to come off as the wheels flex.

Comment

Drat! I do want the full wheel covers!

There is a problem with the hood hinge on the passenger side. Is there an expert who can fix this for me with the reinforcing pieces and get the hinges working freely? I'm getting the repair corners as a part of the purchase.

The v8 sounds solid and emits a lovely burble.

I like the od and column shifter too. I may have to go to the hill climb!
            Last edited by t walgamuth; 06-05-2021, 04:14 AM.

Comment

is there a person I can get to fix the corner of my hood? I am getting the reinforcing gussets with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                I agree with Rich I really like the wheel look. Another plus is that the hubcaps don't have a tendency to come off as the wheels flex.
                I like the full wheelcovers. I have driven thousands of miles (local and Interstate) with that style and have yet to have one come off. These stainless wheelcovers are quite light. I have had heavier style wheelcovers come off. Just make sure that the "teeth" are at a proper angle and are sharp enough to grip.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sounds good!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    Sounds good!

Thanks!
                    One added thing. It is necessary to take steps to prevent any wheelcover from rotating around on the rim. There are many approaches. I like to use bolt in tire valves.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Will the wheel covers stick better if the wheel is new?

Comment

You might also consider keeping the small caps and adding stainless wheel trim rings. Looks very flashy and a little bit of rim colour shows.

Comment

Yes, that looks pretty good too.

Comment

Tom,

My own personal taste was not supposed to disqualify your choice for wheel covers. It was just my personal opinion based on your car. I just appreciate the clean look that your beautiful car presents with hubcaps. I don't dislike full wheel covers on first gen. C/K cars, on the contrary two of my 55's have wheel covers, but my wagon does not. IMHO wheels and tires should not be a detraction from an otherwise beautiful car. I don't feel that if you choose to use stock wheel covers it would in any way be a distraction, enjoy!

Bill

Comment

No worries! I am having fun so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X