Studes at Mecum Houston this week, April 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes at Mecum Houston this week, April 2021

The Champ has a 4.3 Chevy V6. The Avanti was an R1 auto.
    If you want more details they will be on the Mecum site under ‘Results’.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A160A6CE-27CF-4B7D-811C-D61C292BB2BB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	1889263Click image for larger version  Name:	42BBA290-6CBD-40C5-9BF9-525D5F22E224.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	1889264
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

They were both very nice cars. IIRC (I didn't make notes); the 1951 Starlight hammered sold for $8500 and the 1963 Avanti was A/C & AT and hammered sold at $20K.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

knowing nothing of their condition I'd say possibly a bit of a bargain, both of them?
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        They were both very nice cars. IIRC (I didn't make notes); the 1951 Starlight hammered sold for $8500 and the 1963 Avanti was A/C & AT and hammered sold at $20K.
        Yes, if you look closer I take my lame computer screen shots only after they are hammered sold.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Yes, if you look closer I take my lame computer screen shots only after they are hammered sold.
          Thanks. I didn't notice that. I guess that my screen is too small and I just didn't notice that. At least I added that the Avanti has A/C.

EDIT: Of course we wouldn't know that those screen shots were at the sold price and not an earlier bid, until you told us. Perhaps you were just agreeing with my memory.
          Out of the two, I would have preferred the Starlight. I have owned '63 and '64 Avantis, but no '51s.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Thanks. I didn't notice that. I guess that my screen is too small and I just didn't notice that. At least I added that the Avanti has A/C.

EDIT: Of course we wouldn't know that those screen shots were at the sold price and not an earlier bid, until you told us. Perhaps you were just agreeing with my memory.
            Under the lot number is a tiny ‘sold’ sign.

Just for full disclosure, hammer price does not include 10% buyer’s premium.
            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              knowing nothing of their condition I'd say possibly a bit of a bargain, both of them?
              The Avanti is purely a driver and a couple of engine shots indicate both heater and a/c hoses are not connected. I suspect it's about as high as it would go with these issues possibly indicating other underlying faults.

Bob

Comment

Under the lot number is a tiny ‘sold’ sign.

Just for full disclosure, hammer price does not include 10% buyer’s premium.
                I believe you. Probably shows up on your large screen, but too small on my laptop computer screen and old eyes.

In my post no. 2 that is why I said "hammered price", not (final) sold price.

IMO, the Starlight was the better buy.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I take my lame computer screen shots only after they are hammered sold.
                  I like those shots!
                  Appearing from a high angle, and next to that giant can of Sta-Bil, they look like the models in my collection.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    I like those shots!
                    Appearing from a high angle, and next to that giant can of Sta-Bil, they look like the models in my collection.
                    It’s a cool shot, but my picture is of my monitor. That’s the lame part
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The Champion auction starts about 4:54:48 here:

The Avanti auction starts about 5:27:52 here:

-Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Not to sideline Bob's Post but, FWIW, The Intro Auctioneer in the above video is hometown Lancaster County Pa. Boy Jimmy Landis. He almost slipped up and said welcome to Harrisburg, (Pa) and not Houston.
                        Jimmy comes from Auctioneer Family heritage, and owns a Classic Car Sales/Service Business, "Memory Lane Automotive", in Ephrata Pa. He formerly auctioneered for Barret-Jackson.
                        JS
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                          The Intro Auctioneer in the above video is hometown Lancaster County Pa. Boy Jimmy Landis. He almost slipped up and said welcome to Harrisburg, (Pa) and not Houston.
                          Jimmy comes from Auctioneer Family heritage, and owns a Classic Car Sales/Service Business, "Memory Lane Automotive", in Ephrata Pa.
                          JS
                          Yes sir, Jimmy is a great auctioneer and a great guy. He and lead auctioneer Mark Delzell amaze me with their constantly high energy level; and always up, even in the morning before the sale even gets started.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Yes sir, Jimmy is a great auctioneer and a great guy. He and lead auctioneer Mark Delzell amaze me with their constantly high energy level; and always up, even in the morning before the sale even gets started.
                            What Bob said.
                            JS
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                            X