Looking for 1960 manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 1960 manuals

Looking for a 1960 Studebaker Champ manual, so I have some idea of the specs for the motor and transmission
    My motor currently isn't running getting spark but back firing thru carb. Thinking about-faces taking the head off but don't know the torq specs.

If you are looking for the Shop Manual covering Studebaker trucks from 1956 through 1964, just order item number 800425 from a Studebaker vendor; or keep an eye out for it on Ebay. Or maybe someone here has one to offer.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Chances are that you have a vacuum leak. I doubt that removing the head is going to solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleM267 View Post
        Looking for a 1960 Studebaker Champ manual, so I have some idea of the specs for the motor and transmission
        My motor currently isn't running getting spark but back firing thru carb. Thinking about-faces taking the head off but don't know the Torq specs.
        You did not Post the Model Code from the Serial Number Plate.
        IF you have a 259 or 289 V8 Engine, Model 5E7:

Check the Firing Order per the Intake Manifold Markings and Remember the Dist. Turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
        Then Check the Timing with a Timing Light. It probably only needs a proper Tune-Up.

If all that is good, pull the Valve Covers and find out if ALL Valves open and close as they should, a Stuck Open Intake Valve is a possibility.
        Maybe Adjust them Cold at .026, all 16. Head Torque is 65 Ft. Lbs. per the Pattern in the Shop Manual.
        Removing a Cylinder Head is a LAST resort and will prove very little.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-10-2021, 12:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would do a compression check. Could be a stuck valve if it has been sitting for a while.
          Bob
          Bob
          Welland Ontario
          60 Lark Convertible
          64 Daytona
          sigpic
          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Motor is a flathead 6, so doing valve covers won't work.i believe I might know the problem. Looks like it does need a proper tune up looks like the plug wiring is all wrong and plugs are crap. So that's were I'm going to start, removed the carb and cleaned it all up as well.
            what oil should I use for the carb?

Comment

Did you want to know about ENGINE Oil, or something for the Carb.?
              The Carb. should not need anything except Gasoline.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I put 15w40 in it says light weight oil on the dip stick

Comment

Originally posted by DaleM267 View Post
                  I put 15w40 in it says light weight oil on the dip stick
                  I'm assuming you mean the oil bath type breather...... Correct?

I think Ebay has manuals on CD.

First thing first... Check compression. just to make sure you don't have a stuck valve.
                  Second...... Tune Up to include getting your firing order straight.

Go to the SDC website, and there is a list of things to do listed under "What to do after buying a Studebaker" or something like that.

Also, go ahead and join the SDC, and the local bunch if you can find them, there is usually a local group that's affiliated.

Comment

Is the firing order stamped into the top of the head? If so, you should be able to use that to check your spark plug wires sequence.

ensure that #1 is up and both valves are closed. then start at #1 and follow the sequence.

I don't know the direction of distributor rotation off hand, but you can pull the cap and have someone hit the starter and see which way it goes....

Ebay is where I found my book.

Comment

My book is already ordered,

Comment

“Motor is a flathead 6, so doing the valve covers won’t work.”

You do know that those 2 rectangular plates on the upper right side of the engine block provide access to view the valve stems, see them move while cranked, & adjust valve lash; yes?

Comment

Is it right under the manifolds?

Comment

Yes, 2 of them; THEY are beneath the intake/exhaust manifold.

Comment

Working...
                            X