Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good carpet source for pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good carpet source for pickups?

I need to remove the rubber floor mat in my 2R pickup. I have no doubt that it will fall apart when I do. What is the best source for a good quality carpet for these pickups?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Would be glad to be corrected, but I don't think anyone has developed a carpet kit for C-cab trucks. The few that I have seen with carpet were custom made by a local upholstery shop.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

This place shows a carpet for them along with other Studebakers. https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...its-s/5506.htm
      I was wondering if anyone here had used them or someone else.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Used them for my GT Hawk carpet. Great service considering the China virus.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          Used them for my GT Hawk carpet. Great service considering the China virus.
          You mean Covid 19? Please call it what it is.
          Last edited by Ron Dame; 04-10-2021, 10:18 AM. Reason: Cleaned it up a bit
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

You mean Covid 19? Please call it what it is.
            And exactly WHERE did it come from?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It’s like calling rubella or measles the Germany Virus or poliomyelitis the San Angelo Texas United States Virus.

Experts believe it most likely originated in Wuhan Province , China. Like polio, rubella and measles it also has a layperson’s name “SARS-COV2“, which causes the disease COVID-19.

Let’s move and back to carpet.

I too have had great success with Automotive Interiors in Belcher, Mass. Even if they can’t be exact (and all carpet kits need trimming), they can likely sell you the right carpet material to have it done locally.

Don’t be in a rush to receive it; during the pandemic last year they got way behind. But their work and prices are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

And exactly WHERE did it come from?
                Not relevant. The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 originated in Kansas, USA. The current pandemic has a real name, usually shortened to Covid-19. Calling it the China virus is just a backhanded way of inserting politics into the discussion, which is prohibited.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Lets all not get upset over nothing. They do sell nice carpet at a good price and good service.

Comment

I suppose they do sell good carpet. The rest is irrelevant.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                      I need to remove the rubber floor mat in my 2R pickup. I have no doubt that it will fall apart when I do. What is the best source for a good quality carpet for these pickups?
                      Well...we are talking about a TRUCK and not some delicate little sissy passenger car. Before I would get too far into the weeds of having some expensive shop custom sew up something, I think I'd go to Lowe's carpet department and buy a few feet of their heavy-duty rib design carpet runner and fabricate my own mat. It has a rubberized backing, looks great, and is tuff as nails. I believe it is offered in several basic colors and if you have basic skills and patience, you could cut it to fit.

I haven't tried it, but I think with careful application of a heat gun it might even be shaped to contour over the transmission hump. Or, if you know how to handle a leather worker's awl, you could cut and stitch for a better fit. It's not bad-looking stuff and that design has been around since the 1940s and still available.

It is relatively inexpensive, can be cleaned, and if you screw it up, you can replace it and not break the bank.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                        This place shows a carpet for them along with other Studebakers. https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...its-s/5506.htm
                        I was wondering if anyone here had used them or someone else.
                        Dang, I got really excited when I saw they had molded vinyl mats. I'd love that for my M5. Well, a guy can dream!

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                          It’s like calling rubella or measles the Germany Virus or poliomyelitis the San Angelo Texas United States Virus.

Experts believe it most likely originated in Wuhan Province , China. Like polio, rubella and measles it also has a layperson’s name “SARS-COV2“, which causes the disease COVID-19.

Let’s move and back to carpet.

I too have had great success with Automotive Interiors in Belcher, Mass. Even if they can’t be exact (and all carpet kits need trimming), they can likely sell you the right carpet material to have it done locally.

Don’t be in a rush to receive it; during the pandemic last year they got way behind. But their work and prices are excellent.
                          Yes back to the carpet.
                          Thanks for the comment about you personal experience. Your answer is what I was looking for. I wanted to be sure these weren't some of the low quality stuff like J C Whitney used to sell. Years ago I would have gone to a local shop for a quality job, but the really good shop here is very expensive.
                          I have some material that might make a decent floor covering, but making it lay right over the transmission cover would be tricky.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X