Odd looking Champion engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd looking Champion engine.

I came across this on the classifieds from Salt Lake City. It says that it is a Champion engine, but it looks like it was set up as stationary power for something. There is no ring gear on the flywheel, and it looks like it must have a belt driven starter on the front. I may call the guy and see how it runs. It could be a donor long block for one of my projects. Has anybody seen one like it?

With that yoke on the rear it looks like it was sans transmission. Direct drive to something?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Maybe some sort of marine drive setup?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Maybe some sort of marine drive setup?
        Agree. Looks like a water cooled exhaust manifold also.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Might check the serial number.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I think that I will give him a call and ask a few questions. I think that the marine drive could be correct. I noticed the exhaust manifold, but didn't think about it being water cooled.

Comment

That generator mount looks like an Weasel to me. Maybe one of those surplus Weasel engines repurposed to run a generator or something.

Comment

I'm thinking that is a marine engine with the wet exhaust and what looks to be a two barrel carburetor. Bud

Comment

Agree, most likely a marine conversion.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/63420399

Straight 6. Super cool engine. Often used in hotrods, custom builds, etc. Unfortunately my project plans have changed and it's time to let some things go. I can deliver if you are willing to pay my asking price, as long as it's a reasonable distance, maybe within an hour or so of Ogden. Don't miss out on this engine! Would love to see it go to a project instead of sitting in my shop. Truly a piece of history. Call or text.
                  If the seller knows the backstory, he isn't sharing.

Also, be aware there are reasons which can cause an engine to be pulled and set aside. We've had a bad luck run on Champion core engines of late; one with two cracked cylinders, one with two cracked valve seats and a third already bored .060" oversize and a fourth with a crack which ran from valve seat into the cylinder.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

It looks like #6 is used for priming, it was common practice to prime through design plugs for an assured start. The groves in the flywheel may have been designed to assist in turning the engine over for priming/starting. I would say marine application.

Comment

There is what looks like a data plate at the left rear of the engine. Maybe the seller can send you a picture of that.

Also, a head bolt near #3 is loose and all of them were not painted with the head. As Jack states, either the seller knows nothing of the history or he is keeping it to himself. If you have a need for a marine converted Champion 6 OR just want one for a fun project, buy it for the marine conversion gear but assume the motor is shot.

Back "in the day" (whatever that means ), it was common to convert auto engines to marine applications. Water cooled exhaust manifolds, external water pumps, in some cases front mounted flywheels and starters, centrifugal only advance distributors, etc.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-powered-boats

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....s-need-answers
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have tried to contact the owner, so far, without success. The two links that Dick posted both mention the Champion being used in marine applications. Can anybody guess what is on the #6 spark plug opening?

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                          I have tried to contact the owner, so far, without success. The two links that Dick posted both mention the Champion being used in marine applications. Can anybody guess what is on the #6 spark plug opening?
                          What is left of a Compression Gauge Hose Coupling with a Rag or Paper around it?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X