Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with extra Turning Wheels issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with extra Turning Wheels issues?

I've been a SDC member on and off since 2008 or 09, interested in Studebaker since I was a kid, and have tried to get as complete a set of Turning Wheels back issues as I can. Sometimes you find them individually, but often they come in boxes containing a few years worth at a time. This has left me with a number of duplicate issues, and I was kicking around trying to figure out what to do with the extras... as it was a couple of years worth of TW purchased at a used bookstore that finally inspired me to join the club, and they remain a good source of reading and info whether you're a well seasoned Stude enthusiast or just a gearhead looking for an automotive mag to read in a doctor's waiting room or a barber shop.

What do y'all do with surplus issues? I have found one in a doctor's office, and it was a welcome sight amongst the ocean of Better Housekeeping, Soap Opera Digest, Seventeen, and whatever else usually populates such places. I know print magazines as a whole aren't as popular as they used to be, but it seems like there's still plenty of places they'd be appropriate and appreciated?
    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

I put a few of them on the immense magazine table at the Smog Check station, ironically.

The guys at the shop like them and the customers get a glimpse of one way to avoid that waiting room while their Brand X gets a prostate exam on the treadmill.
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

I took a lot of mine to several retirement homes in the area, VA and the like. May need to wait post Covid though for now.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I dropped off some at the local library magazine exchange. Others went to a thrift store. It made a few dollars and maybe introduced a few new hobbyists
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

I have them from day one and at times I came across extras in cars that came my way or from owners garage at the time of buying. I did get to sell lots to a new member years ago and now he has his own set, mine will just stay in the house untill my time comes then it is not my problem.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I have heard of people making them available to people at car shows. If a person shows interest in your Studebaker at a show, they may enjoy a copy of Turning Wheels.

Comment

Noticed lately in all the medical, dental, et.al. waiting rooms, not a magazine to be seen.
              Another casualty of a pandemic.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Everyone needs an oil change. Put some copies in the waiting room where everyone is waiting. Muffler shops, tires stores, A/C service centers are also to be considered.

Bob Miles

Comment

I love my paper magazines and will keep them until whenever, but if one is trying to collect a whole set, one would probably want a full index to go with them. The new thumb drive is a quicker way to go and maybe less expensive in the long run. It has all TW and Pres. Newsletter before that, plus the full index. Order from Cornerstone Reg. or SDC store (members area).
                  AL SORAN RACING

Comment

I too have lots of back issues of Turning Wheels, I spent a lot of time recently making sure I had a complete set and then sorted out what was left. When looking for what to do with the many extras I have I first contacted a couple of rest homes and ran into a problem in that they do not presently take donated magazines due to the pandemic. I don't want money for these they are out there for others who may have missing issues. If anybody has missing issues I would be glad for them to have them all I want is postage for mailing them. I also would be willing to trade if anybody has the earlier issues I do not have.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Back in the days of the York Swap Meet, there were a couple of vendors that sold them. I have boxes of them along with about 50 years worth of AACA magazines.

Comment

I imagine a high school or community college that still has an automotive program might be receptive...though I'd imagine much of their content is diagnostics for "remove and replace."
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Barber shop.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

If you have a veterans Admin hospital in your area they might be interested. I took two BIG boxes of Road Runner (a motorcycle touring magazine). Lots of Veterans were gear heads and appreciate something different to read.

Comment

Thank you all for the ideas! And yeah, I kind of figured the current state of affairs might add a few hurdles to clear... the rules and regs seem to differ from day to day and place to place, so it probably pays to make a few calls ahead of time...
                              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X