Power Train options ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Train options ??

I have a straight 1955 Commander Coupe shell that I am tempted to drop an alternative drive train in. Any suggestions of options? I also have a 98% complete Speedster that is close to original after an every bolt, frame off rebuild.

I have a first gen 331 Chrysler Hemi I have mocked up in mine. Fits pretty well and even can utilize the stude frame mounts.

Comment

The imagination is a great thing..!
      Most any modern (and many older) automotive engine and transmission will fit. into 53 and up Studebakers. If a 426 Hemi will fit..!

Punch your imagination into high gear, and run with it.
      It's YOUR car, YOU pick the options.

MIke

Comment

A Studillac?

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
          I have a straight 1955 Commander Coupe shell that I am tempted to drop an alternative drive train in. Any suggestions of options? I also have a 98% complete Speedster that is close to original after an every bolt, frame off rebuild.
          I believe Mike VanV. had the best advice in post #3.

Let me expand a little -- you provide no info on how you want to use the car (cruise, drag race, drive cross country, do burnouts); what features you want or need (do you need a/c, p/s, etc or just barebones); whether you care about gas mileage; whether you like to row thru the gears or want a transmission that shifts itself; do you want 80 HP or 800 HP; do you want traditional gasoline power or new wave electric power; do you want to spend $1000 or $10,000 or $100,,000; are you going to do this in your garage or are you going to pay to have it done; etc, etc, etc.

The rest of us would be just shooting in the dark since we don't know the details. Write down what you want to do with the car, your requirements, your budget, then zero in on what best fits your wants and needs.

If you zero in on a few different drivetrain choices, then folks here can help with feedback on specific questions.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I second the studillac idea, they are so cool. I’ve seen a couple vintage hemi powered ones as well and they are all so cool.

Comment

If money is no object, an electric drivetrain (perhaps a Tesla crate motor from Revolt Systems) would be great!
              Revolt Systems

There may be an upcoming electric crate motor from General Motors:
              The Chevrolet Performance eCrate Is Here to Make Electric Drivetrain Swaps Easier Than Ever (thedrive.com)
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Right now I have a rust free 1964 Daytona hardtop in storage with no engine or trans at this time but if I were to go wild and spend money and time it would be the car I would do. I would find a Chrysler SRT8 engine and trans set up and go from there they have lots of different HP ones, right now I have a 2010 with the 6.1 425 hp and it is a fun car to drive just think of that set up in the little hardtop. just thinking and will never do, will sell the car first.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Bob, PM sent.
                  Jim
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

You could keep it in the family and drop a 374 Packard V8 with 2 x 4 in it! Or even an R2 from 63 or 64.
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

If it were me I would drop in a 259 built to R1 specs. It would be recreating the car I stuffed into a fire hydrant when I was 18. Building it today it would have an EFI and a 5-speed. Chrysler "A" engines drop in very easy. I've always been fond of 340s. Any engine would be better than what is in it now. Drop something in, engineer it properly, and drive it.
                      james r pepper

Comment

I also vote for the Studillac. But I like the new LSA version. The newer LSA will provide over 500 HP in stock form. Add a 6 Speed and you should have a little fun with that... plus get about 24 MPG on the highway.
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                          Bob, PM sent.
                          Jim
                          Jim I just tried to call you but number in my roster is out dated, would you please call me at home phone 510-582-7328 or text me your new number, thanks Bob
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Working...
                          X