YEOW: $22K for Lark Six!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... I knew I recognized this car.

I live here in Greensboro where the GAA auction was in February. This car must’ve gone across the block and then it was a flip at Barrett-Jackson!

Sold at 15,500 - nice profit for doing nothing to it in 2 months! What a stupid market this - do your research for heavens sakes.

https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehic...tudebaker-lark

Comment

I think the increase in classic car market this year is investors are stating to worry about where the stock market is going to end up in the very near future and are pulling some of their money and putting it in high grade classic cars. This trend seems to come and go.

Comment

Being charitable, a rather oddly equipped ‘Street Machine’ type hot rod, but by no stretch a ‘high grade classic car’.
        Of course that is not any requirement to derive tons of enjoyment for less than half the price of some anonymous used econobox.
        Doing a similar rotisserie rehabilitation on my Lark would probably run double the selling price of this one.
        ....but no way would I settle for upholstery like that.

Comment

I was priced out of this hobby a decade ago. Now I just look at the pretty pictures. Thanks for letting me lurk.

Comment

Jessie J I wasn't trying to say this was a high grade restore as such. But just that is why the trend in the classic car auctions seems to be steady going up and this is why I think that is. A good friend of mine has three in this years Mecum Indy auction hoping to score.

Comment

Interesting. Modified cars aren't my flavor at all, but it's kind of cool that this one didn't follow the basic ingredients 100%. Honestly, I think my favorite part may be the Great Aunt Inge's loveseat interior. It totally doesn't fit with the rest of the look, but it's probably a comfy place to perch while the little six gathers its marbles and motates you to your destination at a dignified pace.
              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

What I couldn't figure out is; WHAT is that Oil Cap looking thing on an extension to the Round Air Cleaner with a small Vacuum hose? attached? Almost looks like a Alcohol or Water Injection System!

UPDATE: I saved that Engine View and enlarged it, and it appears to be some kind of Cold Start Air Damper.
                It looks like (at least some of) the working bits of a GM Thermac air cleaner temperature control... but I can't see the heat stove duct that goes down to the exhaust manifold. These had a bimetallic thermostat inside the air cleaner housing to operate the (visible) vacuum motor; their main function is to prevent carburetor icing. Totally unrelated to the intake manifold preheat system.
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I like it overall, but with a fat man front end (a guess) it is surprising not to have a v8. The interior is just incomprehensible. I like the disc brakes. I'd have to replace the interior and probably would put in a small block ford (289?), or at least a finned aluminum head with two carbs.

The color is fine by me. I'd prolly have to put in ac too if it does not have it.

It looks like a complete makeover was cut short for financial reasons ....as if it were destined for a v8 and someone said....now everything is on a budget.
                  Last edited by t walgamuth; 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    I like it overall, but with a fat man front end (a guess) it is surprising not to have a v8. The interior is just incomprehensible. I like the disc brakes. I'd have to replace the interior and probably would put in a small block ford (289?). The color is fine by me. I'd prolly have to put in ac too if it does not have it.

It looks like a complete makeover was cut short for financial reasons ....as if it were destined for a v8 and someone said....now everything is on a budget.
                    I will admit that interior will look more at home in a '70 Boogie Van, but I guess if the new owner doesn't like it, he can always change it. Authenticity is not the issue here.

On a similar note, the house next door to me sold for an astronomical sum about 4 years ago. It had a beautiful kitchen, with granite countertops, high-end gas cooktop, etc. First thing the new owners did was rip out the nice dark granite and replaced it with white quartz, and the gas cooktop with an equally pricey inductive electric cooktop as according to her, the kitchen was 'too dark' and she didn't like cooking with gas.

Craig

Comment

I like it. The color, the stance. Of course I’d like it a lot more with dark blue traditional ‘60s style tuck & roll upholstery,
                      and with my dual-quad 390 Caddy under the hood replacing that anemic old sick’s cylinder.
                      Studillac Gassers Forever Club.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        It had a beautiful kitchen, with granite countertops, high-end gas cooktop, etc. First thing the new owners did was rip out the nice dark granite and replaced it with white quartz, and the gas cooktop with an equally pricey inductive electric cooktop as according to her, the kitchen was 'too dark' and she didn't like cooking with gas.
                        Agree with new owner about countertop. Built my new house with dark granite countertop. Wish I'd gone with white quartz. Would have made kitchen lighter and quartz is much easier to maintain. Gas not available in my area so went with induction. Would have preferred gas but induction is similar in that response is instant.

Comment

I like the front end with the bumper removed, but its kinda strange to keep the rear bumper if the front one is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                            ... I knew I recognized this car.

I live here in Greensboro where the GAA auction was in February. This car must’ve gone across the block and then it was a flip at Barrett-Jackson!

Sold at 15,500 - nice profit for doing nothing to it in 2 months! What a stupid market this - do your research for heavens sakes.

https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehic...tudebaker-lark
                            A bit of an aside, but Greensboro is where I call home..and the GGO (Ooops, you said GGA) brought back memories of driving GGO people about in brand new Vista Cruisers. Somebody left a 3 phase 25 HP motor in the back, and we never found the owner. What an odd bonus for me! ( lots of golf clubs too, those guys were wasted)
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                            X