1941? Red Studebaker Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941? Red Studebaker Convertible

About 10 years ago, I saw a 1941? Red Studebaker convertible at an international meet. I talked to the owner, and said I had some information on the car.

Basically, when I was at a Chautauqua meet hosted by Steve Grant, I met the original owner. I wrote a little story about our encounter, but I didn’t really believe she had a convertible. Seeing was believing. I said I would forward him the story for his information when I got back. I didn’t, but would do that if I had his contact information. Anybody know who he is?

Studebaker didn't catalog any convertibles after1939, and didn't offer open-top models again until later in the 1947 model year.

There was at least one 1940 convertible sedan made by Derham, but I've never seen a '41. Was this a two door convertible, or a four door convertible sedan that you saw?

Craig

Comment

Not certain of year or number of doors. Could not locate the pictures. I was running around trying to take in everything.

Comment

The owner had just finished the restoration and it was there. Red.

Comment

I think I found a picture of it on the internet. 1940 Champion convertible. 4 door. Was listed with conceptcarz.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
            I think I found a picture of it on the internet. 1940 Champion convertible. 4 door. Was listed with conceptcarz.
            Link:
            https://www.conceptcarz.com/view/pho...ion_photo.aspx
            Last edited by r1lark; 03-31-2021, 06:46 AM.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Good looking car. The info says it is a Derham body. The windshield and top are styled like they were designed for an earlier car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40-Studebaker_Champion_DC_Phtn_DV-08_BC_01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1887839Click image for larger version

Name:	40-Studebaker_Champion_DC_Phtn_DV_08_BC_a01.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1887840
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's an interesting concept, but in order to accept it as a one off Durham body I would need to see some documentation. For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time. Personally I think that the car should be able to stand on it's own, but when Durham is mentioned the value goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  It's an interesting concept, but in order to accept it as a one off Durham body I would need to see some documentation. For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time. Personally I think that the car should be able to stand on it's own, but when Durham is mentioned the value goes up.
                  RQ has documentation on it: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....he-flesh/page2

Craig

Comment

I know better the to argue with friend Dick Q. He has a way of making you feel wrong, even when you think that you are right. I defer to the oricle!

Comment

I know better the to argue with friend Dick Q. He has a way of making you feel wrong, even when you think that you are right. I defer to the oricle!
                      Bill, I sent you a message on this forum.
                      DG
                      So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

The owner is a friend of mine. Trust me, it is real.
                        Because he is not on the forum, I don't want to post his information. But I have sent Paul a PM so that he can get in touch. I am sure he would be glad for the information. I think he showed it at the Lancaster, PA Meet, 2008.
                        George Rohrbach
                        Last edited by Georger; 03-31-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time.
                          Derham also made two 1940 President convertible sedans for the NY World's Fair: 1940 President Touring Car; Coachwork by Derham - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

Wow! That is one of one then. I agree the windshield looks a bit out of place. Also very odd someone would put that fabulous body on a champ. Would that body be considered a dual cowl?
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hello I am the present owner of the 1940 Studebaker Champion Daul Cowl Phaeton.
                              New member, would appreciate any information you could share with me on my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X