Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55s
    replied
    I sent the owner an email with the information I had.

I fabricated a story years ago about an incident in Chautauqua, but when I wrote it I changed convertible to coupe thinking that she (the person I helped in with her groceries) must have been mistaken. I think her husband/ or dad was a millionaire and a race car driver, so the story of it being a gift makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 40 phaeton View Post
    Hello I am the present owner of the 1940 Studebaker Champion Daul Cowl Phaeton.
    New member, would appreciate any information you could share with me on my car
    As per Richard Quinn in the link in Post #9 above:
    "Know the car well. It is a '40 Champion (not '39 as stated). Yes, done by Derham of Rosemont PA. The cost of the body was $2500 in 1940. Restored back in the 1970s by the late Sam Alcorn of Bethelehem, PA. He passed away only a few months after completing it. The current owner is a friend of Sams. Believe he is re-restoring it. I have photos of it when it was just completed. It started life as a 4-door sedan painted Laurel Green serial G-46072. Have a lot of original documentation on it. Not a factory job so did not mention it in my previous posts. "

Original documentation on it available here: http://cccamuseum.org/Explore/Archives/Archive-Viewer

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 04-07-2021, 04:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 40 phaeton
    replied
    Hello I am the present owner of the 1940 Studebaker Champion Daul Cowl Phaeton.
    New member, would appreciate any information you could share with me on my car.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Wow! That is one of one then. I agree the windshield looks a bit out of place. Also very odd someone would put that fabulous body on a champ. Would that body be considered a dual cowl?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
    For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time.
    Derham also made two 1940 President convertible sedans for the NY World's Fair: 1940 President Touring Car; Coachwork by Derham - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Georger
    replied
    The owner is a friend of mine. Trust me, it is real.
    Because he is not on the forum, I don't want to post his information. But I have sent Paul a PM so that he can get in touch. I am sure he would be glad for the information. I think he showed it at the Lancaster, PA Meet, 2008.
    George Rohrbach
    Last edited by Georger; 03-31-2021, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    I know better the to argue with friend Dick Q. He has a way of making you feel wrong, even when you think that you are right. I defer to the oricle!
    Bill, I sent you a message on this forum.
    DG

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    I know better the to argue with friend Dick Q. He has a way of making you feel wrong, even when you think that you are right. I defer to the oricle!

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    It's an interesting concept, but in order to accept it as a one off Durham body I would need to see some documentation. For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time. Personally I think that the car should be able to stand on it's own, but when Durham is mentioned the value goes up.
    RQ has documentation on it: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....he-flesh/page2

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    It's an interesting concept, but in order to accept it as a one off Durham body I would need to see some documentation. For one thing placing this on a short Champion chassis just wasn't being done. I could see it if is was a two seat convertible, or a rumble seat convertible coupe, but less willing to accept a touring/phaeton application as a car fashioned and completed at that time. Personally I think that the car should be able to stand on it's own, but when Durham is mentioned the value goes up.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied

Good looking car. The info says it is a Derham body. The windshield and top are styled like they were designed for an earlier car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40-Studebaker_Champion_DC_Phtn_DV-08_BC_01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1887839Click image for larger version

Name:	40-Studebaker_Champion_DC_Phtn_DV_08_BC_a01.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1887840

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by 55s View Post
    I think I found a picture of it on the internet. 1940 Champion convertible. 4 door. Was listed with conceptcarz.
    Link:
    https://www.conceptcarz.com/view/pho...ion_photo.aspx
    Last edited by r1lark; 03-31-2021, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    I think I found a picture of it on the internet. 1940 Champion convertible. 4 door. Was listed with conceptcarz.

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    The owner had just finished the restoration and it was there. Red.

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    Not certain of year or number of doors. Could not locate the pictures. I was running around trying to take in everything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X