No announcement yet.

It's time, my hawk is coming out of years of hibernation.....need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time, my hawk is coming out of years of hibernation.....need suggestions

About 7 years ago I put the Hawk on rollers and pushed her to the back of the garage. I did drain the gas and change the oil before the cover went on. At the time she went to sleep I had a nasty leak. I think it is the main seal but I really don't know. The volume of oil she lost and the speed at which she lost it makes me think this. The clutch was chattering some too. I have a leaky power steering hose as well...and I have no record of the valves being adjusted ,So I know at least these things need to be addressed.
    My plan was to replace the 25 plus year old tires with new American classic bias look radials from Cooker. Check the brakes over and address the above. Any thing else I am not thinking of?
    I know in the past I have seen that there are so many opinions here that I wonder if we all could agree on the color of an orange...But on THIS a variety of opinions is to my benefit!!!
    OK let me have them.....
    I have a local wedding for my niece this summer. She asked me if I would both drive it in the wedding for her and....be the one that does the service..I have to get this right. Thanks guys. Rich
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

No matter how good they looked, I would replace the 3 brake hoses and either rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. If clean inside, just replace the rubber cups and bleed them. Plan on replacing the brake light switch, too. All cheap insurance.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Like Skip said, better no run than no stop!

I still like this article for an overview of a vehicle that has sat for a while; though it is not all inclusive, and others will add sound advice.

https://studebakerdriversclub.com/wp...Studebaker.pdf
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

You didn't mention Draining and Refilling the Cooling System with Fresh 50/50% Antifreeze and Distilled Water.
        I like the DIY, Straight 100% Prestone or Store Brand, getting harder to find but it is out there.

But really I don't want to overwhelm you but, with a wet Clutch and Bad Pan Gasket and or Main Seal, you really should pull the Engine to do the Timing Cover Gasket, Pan Gasket and Main Seal Combo Job RIGHT. Then you can flush the Block, Replace the Core Plugs THEN Re-fill the Cooling System!

I know a LOT of work, but you will be MUCH Happier with the result.

I guess I should not say: while you are in there ... How about pulling the Heads and checking for Cylinder wear?
        Of course that depends on Mileage since Rebuilt, Overhauled or Not etc. so maybe you won't Block me after this!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Go ahead. Take the “first step”. Even a wash.......once you get going it will all come naturally. Just do it.

Comment

"You didn't mention Draining and Refilling the Cooling System with Fresh 50/50% Antifreeze and Distilled Water."
            https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/...ooling-system/

Comment

You are in NY...call Dave ( close at hand) and find out what is best route to get your car going and SAFE. He has resources.....He may not do it himself but he can direct you...to a very happy place for a car that needs work....

Studebaker Parts & Services
              Dave & Janet Thibeault
              13 Nick Lane
              Maynard, MA 01754 978-897-3158
              EMAIL

PARTS AND SERVICES OFFERED For 6 Cylinder or V8 - 1920's to Avanti I

Comment

This car sat because it was flawed and now has more flaws from sitting...get a competent Studebaker Shop to check everything before a wedding....please. Your NY Chapter is pretty sharp …..ask for help. Mr. Bishop knows his stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Videoranger View Post
                  "You didn't mention Draining and Refilling the Cooling System with Fresh 50/50% Antifreeze and Distilled Water."
                  https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/...ooling-system/
                  OK, Distilled BAD!
                  So WHAT Type of Water do you suppose is in the 50/50 Pre-Mix that most use? Are they going to Buy a Culligan Water Softener to make their Antifreeze?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

OK, Distilled BAD!
                    So WHAT Type of Water do you suppose is in the 50/50 Pre-Mix that most use? Are they going to Buy a Culligan Water Softener to make their Antifreeze?
                    What kind of water? South Bend water of course.....keeping 'em original!
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I guess I should not say: while you are in there ... How about pulling the Heads and checking for Cylinder wear?
                      Of course that depends on Mileage since Rebuilt, Overhauled or Not etc. so maybe you won't Block me after this!
                      I would prescribe a compression and leakdown test before getting the urge to pull heads

As far as the supposedly ion hangry distilled water? I thought that was accounted for in the coolant's additive package? Like you, I purchase the old school stuff and add my own water... I ain't 100% sure, but thought that the ready-to-drink antifreeze lists distilled water as its other ingredient.

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

That's what I thought. 50/50 shouldn't need anything else added. To replace the rear main seal, it would be easier to pull the engine, and do it with the crank side up. That will also make the clutch job easier. I'm guessing that it is chattering because it's covered with oil.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions. Brake hoses, yup and radiator juice...yup . As for as pulling the engine nope. not me. I have reached the point where I know my limitations... I have neither the lift or hoist to pull the engine or tackle the clutch. Those I need to farm out. A leak down test would be a good idea as well...That I can do.
                          As for Dave T. I am going to call Northboro soon to see if they can help me with the above.
                          Thank you all for the advice. Rich
                          64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
                          Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

Well I need to ask what kind of Hawk we are discussing. I see three brake hoses and wonder about the booster, disc, etc. Yes we don't mess with brakes. I'm going through my disc brake set-up on my '64 GT and have found some sources for parts. I'll share when parts are in place.
                            Rob in PA.

Comment

The best advice I received from one of our most accomplished reconditioner/restorers was this -

"Do something on it each day, no matter how small, and you'll surprise yourself with the progress."

Even just cleaning the grime off an area you intend to work on is satisfying and a relief later when you don't have to degrease yourself every time you touch the thing.
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X