The greatest PAC KARD of them all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
    ...Greatest of them all? Even the ones built 25 years earlier?!...
    When I first saw the title to this thread, I quickly clicked on it expecting to see one of the wonderful Packards of the 1930s.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
      Priced at $116,645 I would venture that it could be like the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible as far as a collector car.

Take a look at this opinion: How to turn $47K lot trash into $116K auction treasure | Hagerty Media
      If there is one paragraph from that article I have to copy & paste, it is this one:

"I adore the Lincoln Continental. For what it is: a rapid, silent, spacious all-weather interceptor with the finest interior materials ever fitted to a mass-production American automobile. And for what it represents: an unashamed evocation of arguably purer days, when it was common for adults to have children rather than become children, when intact families were the rule rather than the exception, when neighborhoods bloomed and blossomed with endless and subtle messages of hierarchy and prosperity. Like the scene in John Updike’s Couples where Kennedy has just been shot but they have a black-tie dinner and dance anyway, in someone’s home, because it has been planned and because even their ad hoc thirtysomething anti-society has certain rules which must be obeyed. That sort of thing. You’d want to arrive to such a party in a Continental, although in November 1963 you might have to suppress a brief, involuntary shudder at the thought of how Camelot had come to an end in one. "

Stu Chapman's excellent book, My Father The Car comes to mind with the unveiling of the Mercedes Benz 600 that still took place the evening of the day JFK had just been shot.

Craig

Comment

I know we have gotten off track with this thread. I have in the past owned a 55 400. Even though there are problems (power windows, oil pump, lifters) I would still like another one 55 or 56.

That said, for the time period of 62-63, I would choose an Imperial LeBaron then Continental, for a mode of transportation for carriage trade. In November 22, 1963 our transportation was a 59 Lark and 59 Rambler Classic with push button Borg Warner.

We didn't go anywhere. We stayed on the TV until Monday when the coffin was lowered and TAPS was being played. All five of use were crying when that happened.

Bob Miles

Comment

Priced at $116,645 I would venture that it could be like the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible as far as a collector car.

Take a look at this opinion: How to turn $47K lot trash into $116K auction treasure | Hagerty Media

Bob Miles
          I have a new candidate for the greatest PACK ARD of all time: the 1957 Packard Clipper. Let me explain. S-P introduced the '57 Clipper with many features optional, so it was placed only a little above the President. Those options should have been standard, along with a higher quality interior. Taking the lesson of the Hagerty article a loaded Lincoln Continental is much easier to sell than a base model. At least the '57 Packard Clipper COULD HAVE BEEN the greatest PACK ARD of all time. This was a missed opportunity by S-P that would certainly have given Packard more prestige in 1957, something the make needed after the discontinuation of the '56 Packards. It would at least have been the greatest PACK ARD of 1957.
          -Dwight

Comment

Bob Miles
            Enjoyed the heck out of this article, and the fun style in which it was written.

I have coveted this Continental since it came out. Several years ago I was at a local Auto Expo and I sat in the then-new Lincoln LS. Immediately, in swooped a beautiful girl in a slinky black dress leading with her card and asking, "Isn't it a beauty?" I told her I didn't like it when I saw it the first time as a Camry lol. She asked what I meant by that. I told her I can spend a lot less to be surrounded by plastic and harsh, thin seats; and that I miss the day of REAL Lincolns. That led to her asking how I defined 'real' Lincoln and I told her, it's simple: Unapologetically large, mountains of chrome, cloud ride, lots of power, plush seats, and crappy gas mileage I don't know if she got it. And I don't know if management would care; For many years now, both Lincoln and Cadillac have insisted on marketing to people who really don't care about Lincoln or Cadillac... and ignoring the people that are and ironically, can afford them.

Currently I drive a 2008 Cadillac station wagon. (They call it SRX). It has been the closest to that proud American luxury car I've found; yet in 2010 they made it look like an Equinox knockoff, in the patter of the Cimarron and Versailles, tarted up economy models. This newest Continental comes pretty close to what I would like. I look forward to getting one. But, I never will buy new, I let others take that huge hit. The wagon is right at 200K miles, so in another year or two I'll start looking for a Continental. Another advantage of buying used luxury cars: as a rule they depreciate faster than average cars. Today in my area the well-heeled want to buy the Cadillac version of the Suburban (Escalade) and the Lincoln version of the Explorer (Navigator)- many surpassing $100K.

No thanks. If I was ever willing to pay $100K+ for a truck (I will never be) it would have to be capable of doing far more work than carting around 3 rows of (mostly smaller) individuals and a small rowboat.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
            X